Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,349

2 members and 3,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Males or females?

How do you choose which gender you get of your snakes? Like say you wanted to do an axanthic project which included axanthic pieds, mojos and the like. What gender axanthic would you get and why? I am just trying to figure this out. My guess would be a male and female mojo and pied correct?
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Males or females?

Tricky question...

Since males can breed after 1 year for the mojo's id go with a male. But then if you wanted to go for a BEL you'd have to wait for one of the females from that bunch to hit 1500gr/3yrs. Also, since females are way more expensive with age if you have the money to splurge on it i'd go with a female for less waiting time to shoot for designer morphes

For the Axanthics i'd start with a Het Male and Female ready to breed. The female would be about the price of a visual male ($500? idk the price of Axanthics) So whenever you (hopefully) get a male Axanthic from that clutch you could breed it back to the Het female and get more Axanthics next year. And hold back a female Axanthic (if you get one) to raise up so you can start making 100% hets with whatever you breed it to so you can start making designers. Though again, females are way more expensive with age so if you have the cash to swing for an older Visual, go that route. Or if your patient start with a young one.

Since the Axanthic pied is double recessive it'll take time to make, unless you get a hold of a female Axanthic het pied and a male pied het Axanthic, but thats alot of $$$. If not you'll have to breed a male pied and female axanthic (cheapest way) Hold back a male a female (or all of them) and breed them to eachother once they come of age, sacrafice a few goats to the BP gods, and hope you hit the axanthic pied. Or, you can breed two hets together and hope you can prove your poss. hets
    I dont agree with a word your saying but will defend to the death your right to say it

0.1 Normal
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.1 Albino
    1.0 Sterling Bee
    1.0 Cinnamon

Thanks

Re: Males or females?

This is what I have been doing. My morphs are mostly all male, my females are mostly all 100% hets or normals. the reason I did this is that my males will be ready to breed soon, and I can afford more adult het females than I can morph adult females. I do have a female mojo, and a female spider. Also, all but one of my pastels are female.

When my mojo male gets of age then he will breed with several females, this will at least give me some mojos hopefully while I wait on my mojo female to come of age. When all of my females are of age in another year or so I will have multiple girls to breed my pied to, giving me pieds and hets, I will also have multiple girls for my mojo to breed to giving me hopefully some BEL's and mojos, and multiple pastels to breed my spider male to for bumble bees, and a male pastel to match up to some female pastels for super pastels.

I feel starting out that this is hedging my bets the best I can. I want more females to breed to so hets are a cheaper solution right now. Later on when I become more established I will go with all morphs.
    I Like Pie!