Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question In her best interest to change substrate type?

I'm so confused! I've read many contradicting things about which substrates to use for BPs.

As I've posted before, I have very recently adopted an adult (5-6y.o) female BP.
    She has always lived on pine shavings- but some sources advise against using pine.

Next time she needs a bedding change, is it in her best interest to switch to something else? At the petstore I found two products made by ZooMed, one was specifically called "Snake bedding" (I believe it was aspen?) and the other was Cypress mulch which looked a little "chunky" lol. Would changing her substrate type cause her stress?

I'm very paranoid about her health and only want what's best for my girlie.

Thanks

Re: In her best interest to change substrate type?

The subject of whether or not to use pine shavings goes round and round on this forum. Most people go with being safe by using newsprint or aspen bedding. However if you want to research the arguement just search the site for the threads where it is discussed ad nauseum.

Thanks

Cypress, Aspen or even newspaper would be fine.

*edit* I originally wrote that pine is toxic to most snakes, but I have since discovered that many people feel that it is harmless. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any data that supports the claim either way. With that said, if the possibility exists that pine is bad for snakes, why take the chance?
    Last edited by xdeus; 08-26-2009 at 03:45 PM.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I have never used pine or cedar. I used to use Aspen, but I finally switched to paper towel and kraft paper, which is alot cheaper than aspen and way easier to change out when it gets soiled. I never realized exactly how much adult BP's can pee until I switched to paper...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

I recommend the indented kraft paper sold via Uline.com - it is absolutely wonderful and very hygenic for the snake. YOu can see exactly where they mess and it is very easy to clean up. I buy it on a large roll that fits the dimensions of my enclosure but you can simply cut it to fit.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I recommend the indented kraft paper sold via Uline.com - it is absolutely wonderful and very hygenic for the snake. YOu can see exactly where they mess and it is very easy to clean up. I buy it on a large roll that fits the dimensions of my enclosure but you can simply cut it to fit.
    big thing with using any kind paper substrate they tend to make a mess of it and move it around rendering it useless when they want to go to bathroom. I tried all of them and now I think I'm going back to aspen, because when they go to the bathroom on the tub itslef with nothing to absorb it BOYYYY does it smell!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsmalex97 View Post
    big thing with using any kind paper substrate they tend to make a mess of it and move it around rendering it useless when they want to go to bathroom. I tried all of them and now I think I'm going back to aspen, because when they go to the bathroom on the tub itslef with nothing to absorb it BOYYYY does it smell!!
    My BPs never move my newsprint. Im using the "mov-eze" packing paper from home depot. I have used Aspen before too, but one of my bp had a real bad shed once and I stoped using it.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

aspen is great in terms of shedding though because you spray it a few times and it holds the humidity great. Whats this paper you speak of though? I don't know mine are always moving it around lol, it drives me crazzzzy! I love how cost effective it is, but maybe its because the paper towel is too light.

Thanks

I use aspen chips now, though I used pine shavings for three years before switching. (I didn't realize it could be toxic, so I stopped using it despite that it seemed to be causing no ill effects.) With a humid hide, my snakes don't have issues with bad sheds. Plus, it's easy to tell where they go to the bathroom, and I use a regular ol' pooper scooper when they do.

I think I like aspen shavings better than SaniChips, though. Some of my balls like to burrow, and it's pretty easy for them to get chips stuck in their mouths.
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

Thanks

Thanks so much folks!! I won't be using pine in the future, I don't want to have to worry about her.
    I really liked how the aspen snake bedding looked, very similar in appearance & texture to pine, maybe she won't even notice?
    I live in Maine so I have a feeling I may be better off using aspen to help with humidity levels during the longgg winter- I think paper would dry things out too much. I do use a layer of clean newsprint paper below the shavings to keep things easy during cleaning time.

Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast