Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

2 members and 3,257 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How do I get my BP to eat frozen/thawed???

My ball python, Pandora, has eaten live mice all her life and she's just over a year old and is 3ft long. Two feedings ago, the mouse bit her! She ate it but was bleeding. I cleaned her tank before I put her back in it and put some antibiotics on the bite. I kept this up and gave her baths and I'm glad to say that the bite has pretty much healed and she's fine. But I want to start feeding her frozen/thawed. I'm just afraid that it will happen again. And also, three live mice cost almost $8 but a pack of frozen costs less than $5, at least where I go. It comes from my babysitting money and that plus buying crickets every week leaves me with little for myself. And my mom HATES the smell from the mice and the mess. I clean the cage every week but it still stinks. If I could get Pan to eat frozen/thawed that would be great!

I always have frozen just in case I run out of mice or can't get to town but she's only eaten one once. I tried giving her one another time and she wouldn't eat it. How do I encourage her to eat it? My friend who has one told me that I should extend the time between feeding so that she will eat it. Is that a good idea? She eats about every eight days.

Help? Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks

Re: How do I get my BP to eat frozen/thawed???

Yeah I'm having a bit of problem with this too, have you tried warming the mouse up with a hair dryer? It will give it a heat signature to go after

Thanks

I would try letting it sit in the sun for maybe 10 min, this will allow for the outer layer of skin to heat up.

Your snake SHOULD be interested in a heat signature, maybe a pair of tongs would help as well

Thanks

Have you tried tongs? If that doesn't work, just leave the F/T rodent in the tub over night. I have a few Balls that will only eat F/T (will not eat live) and only if left in over night. Good luck
    Steve

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

For a single mouse or a few mice...Put a gladlock or similar type container in the microwave and heat the water to where its very hot to the touch ( you DO NOT want the water scalding hot) then remove from microwave, place frozen rodent in the container of hot water, Allow to thaw until the rodent is "squishy" near the enclosure( should not take but around 8-10 mins). Use hemostats or tongs and grasp the rodent by skin on the nap of the neck , dab rodent on paper towel and present to the snake.*** You may have to reheat the water after thawing***
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

I've had success by leaving the f/t mouse or rat defrost in room temperature in the room that the snake is in. That helps pre-scents the room. I wait until the rodent is nice and soft until i put the rodent in a zip lock bag. Then I dip that bag in hot water for 10-12 minutes. You'll know when the rodent is ready by touching it's stomach and feeling it being warm and squishy. Grab the rodent by it's tail or scruff and offer it to the snake. If she doesn't strike at it right away, leave the rodent in the enclosure for the night.
    Ball Pythons, All male:
    Normal, Albino, Spider, Pinstripe, Mojave, Pastel, Orange Ghost, Lesser Platinum, Bumbleebee
    Other Snakes:
    2 Green Tree Pythons, 1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 1 Jungle Carpet Python
    Reptiles:
    2 Northern Blacknobb sawbacks, 1 Crested Gecko, 1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Dalmatian Hermann Tortoise

Thanks

Yes, I use tongs, and yes, I warn it with a hair dryer. I get it nice and warm. I haven't tried just leaving it in the tub with her though. I might try that.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: How do I get my BP to eat frozen/thawed???

I know I have gotten all of my snakes so far to take F/T but there are a couple that need time alone to eat . It takes them a while to figure it out . We usually put them in a lg zip lock bag then run it under hot water a leave it to thaw out in a shoebox size tub . If the water cools I run new hot water . When the belly is soft It is then offered to the snake who sometimes take a minute or two to strike . If water got in the bag or the rodent is not hot enough I will use the blow dryer . I have one snake that takes about 45 min to figure it out but I just leave her alone and she does . Just be patient it will work .

Thanks

For my male albino boa that decided to be picky and only want live I had quite a time working with him to figure out what I'd have to do to get him to take f/t.
    Finally he started excepting them if I would run a pan full of super hot water from the sink, toss the frozen mouse/rat in the water itself to soak into the skin and hair, once it's thawed after an hour or so take it out dump the water and run fresh super hot water in the pan again, put the rat in it, and then just pick it up with the tongs by the tail or back legs and shake most of the water off, and then offer it to him.
    Somehow it seems like the fresh hot water really put that scent out there because he would already be coming out looking for food before I even walked into the room. It just took me just short of a year to actually get to this method and to get him to decide it was ok for him.
    I tried everything from scenting to braining to assisted feeding(he hated this the most and never ate once with this) and finally, heating with an outside heat source that left the mouse/rat dry but warm/hot, such as with a hairdryer, heat lamp or heating pad. But he would still only accept live up until I tried the soaking in hot water idea and since then he's had no problem staying on schedule and taking his f/t meals.

Thanks

Glad some people on this forum are coming around to F/T.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast