Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

2 members and 3,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ball python breed business?

Well im going to be breeding this year i hope. I spent about 240 on my rbi rack. Spent about 50 dollars on my thermostat. I spent about 250 on 2 female adult breeders. 400 on a male spider got a 100 knock of on my lemon pastel from nerd. So that all came up to 600. Then there is food, im breeding my own rats now because my lemon is pickie and im tired of driving a hour to get hopper mice for her. Then you need to make a incubator or buy one. So there are some ball park numbers for you to start buy. You can probly find cheaper snakes but with nerd a hour away i would rather spend the money.
    0.1amel,corn, 1.0 spider,0.2normal,0.1lemon,1.1 het albino,1.0 mojave,0.1redtail
    http://www.cuckooreptiles.com/

Thanks

darkice.... ty dude... thats what i was looking for.... any more advice?...

nerd?... and can any1 here is from Canada?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a question how much experience do you have keeping BP? Basic husbandry, problem solving when a problem arise (and it will), what do you know about breeding itself, genetics etc? How would you rate your knowledge, because I would think that before thinking business the first step would be hands on experience and then see how you like it.

As far as business go you can spend 10K / 20K and still not break even after several years (a few people will be able to tale you that ) so if you want to make this a business you will need some serious cash, a serious business plan and be willing to work hard.

I think the learning process is something you need to do on your own than when you have specific questions you can ask however no one is gonna just spoon feed everything from the basics of reptile keeping to genetics to business plan.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

You also got to consider if you get babies then you will have to wait 2 years. If you want snakes that are ready to go then its going to cost you more money. Nerd is New Englend Reptile Division I guess you could say he was one of the founders of ball pythons.
    0.1amel,corn, 1.0 spider,0.2normal,0.1lemon,1.1 het albino,1.0 mojave,0.1redtail
    http://www.cuckooreptiles.com/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think you are going at this alittle to fast, I seen you posted other things on different threads! Such as breeding permits! You should just research it yourself and not get everything from everyone else! It will help you in the long run. And how long do you want to have it as a hobby?? If you are only going to have 3-4 snakes I would just keep them in tanks ( if you already have them) dont go and buy tanks, that would be really dump. If you know that you are definitly going to get more snakes in the furture, I would get a rack that has more tubs than you need at the moment so you wont have to go by a new one in a few years!!! Also I would purchase a hatchling rack as well! So just with the two racks, you would be looking at ~$800 depending on the size and quality! Then depending on the prices of the morphs that you are looking at you could spend anywhere from $200 for a pastel, mojave, cinnamon, black pastel, to upwards of thousands for the more complex morphs like the lesserbees, the pastel clowns, the killerbees, ext. But I would suggest planning out what you want to work up to, so lets say you REALLY want to produce a killerbee, i would suggest, instead of spending alot on a killerbee i would purchase a spider and a pastel, then i would breed those hope for a bumblebee, then after a few years take the bumblebee and breed it back to the pastel, and hope for the best!!!

Hopefully this will help you out!!!
    0.1 Normal BP

Thanks

Yeah dude. its a slow starting thing. and your not gonna make alot because you dont have a ton of money to invest in snakes.
    So if you get like 2-4 snakes you have to wait for them to mature, then you can get 2 clutches a year probably. and theyre not going to be anything uncommon.
    I want to breed, and maby make money. Im more just wanting to get the morphs i want, but make them myself. and sell the rest that i dont need/want.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

This year so far I have spent over 5000 on my hobby. I sold only 3 snakes so far this year for a whopping $25 each, normal males. So this year alone I am in the hole 4925 so far. I have done everything the cheapest way I would allow myself to. Built my own racks, purchased the thermostat, built an incubator, purchased 2 morphs, bred one morph I already had got none outta that, restocked my rat rack because i had a few issues with it and they all died off. That is just off the top of my head ther is actually a lot more like bedding and feeding the rodents and I could go on for days on this.

If you truely want to breed snakes get 2 normals they are nice and cheap and easy to get rid of at a local pet store IF NEEDED and that way you can learn how to breed as well as learn the hobby.

If you do not have the passion to do the research yourself as to what you need which would be clearly visable in 99% of the videos out there then I honestly do not think you should attempt to start yet. When I started breeding 10 years ago I had no clue what I was doing and I did all my research prior to me even thinking I could afford anything or thinking I could make money at it. In the last 10 years a ew years have been great and I did make money maybe 3 at most of those years the rest has been even or in the hole for me and yet I still do it because I love it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T&C Exotics For This Useful Post:

tjones (08-24-2009)

Thanks

see to me your asking how much money you need to start a hobby that could turn into something more. well the only thing i can really say is you need as much money as you can spare. i or noone can tell you how much money you need to start it all depends on what you want to buy and or build
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It may also help to make a timeline of your business plans based on how much you are willing to invest.

Registered User BallPythonGeek13's Avatar
    Thanks

well ball pythons are a very easy snake to take care of though i would wait and get a few before you take the dive into breeding when you do i would use rhino raxx they are my fav racks
    Paul Marks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast