Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

0 members and 3,200 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ball python breed business?

Quote Originally Posted by empty. View Post
    i wanna know what do i need to start a ball python breed business, i have been reading and watching some videos but i wanna know your opinion...
    Watching videos of snakes won't help you in the least when it comes to starting a business around them. That's like learning how to start a restaurant by watching people cook on the Food Network.

If you're serious, you need to be reading books on business so you can understand the process of running a business (sales, marketing, cash flow, etc.), and then books on business plans so you can outline and document exactly how you expect your own business to work, and just what will be required to remain viable.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctrlfreq For This Useful Post:

Chris Behof (08-29-2009),littleindiangirl (08-23-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlfreq View Post
    Watching videos of snakes won't help you in the least when it comes to starting a business around them. That's like learning how to start a restaurant by watching people cook on the Food Network.

If you're serious, you need to be reading books on business so you can understand the process of running a business (sales, marketing, cash flow, etc.), and then books on business plans so you can outline and document exactly how you expect your own business to work, and just what will be required to remain viable.
    Or do like me and go to business school while starting your first breeding project. Even a few short online classes on business will help you TREMENDOUSLY.
    In my case, for example, the only reason I ended up with so many snakes for my first project is because I knew a few people with Hondos and a rack that needed to get rid of them (moving, etc.). But don't rush into it. 100 baby snakes is a lot of work. You could see if a local reptile store would let you volunteer a bit so you can get a feel for caring for dozens of snakes.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

well all i can tell you is how and why i started and what i spent and what i have made so far. and then you an see if it is worth your time. when i started i was 15 and i own three normal ball pythons for three year and then had to get rid of them as my new landlord didn't want any in his apartment. then many year later i thought i was ready to to what i have wanted to do for years. so i bought a creature keeper rack much like a freedom breeder rack plus two jason jungles racks and spent about 4000 on those now time to buy my snakes i bought a pastel and spent 1500 on him then bought a spider and spent 5000 on her plus bought a bunch of female normals and then saw the mojave and had to have one so i spent 11200 on him this has been going on for 7 years so far i have also bought a lesser for 1500 for him plus a few more here and there plus the feeding bill and heating bill and my time i have had a couple good years breeding like my third year of owning then i breed my pastel and hatched out 3 males no females the next yers had no time and the year after that no time really then two years ago had a good year and hatch about 40 babies mostly normals sold all the normals and gave a few morphs away as gifts. now of all the snake a have hatch and sold i might have made 2000 if i'm lucky but there is no better day then coming home at 3am and going into my snake room till 4am then takeing a shower going to bed and wakeing up 9am with my boys and starting all over. my boys enjoy the snakes and i love them have i made money NO do i care No i really don't care that much about makeing the money them i just really enjoy my hobbie/passion. so if your going to do this do it for the love first money last as you will spend a ton of that
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks

ok for those how speak about business and etc... OMG ppl, i dont want to open a petland, or petsmart or reptilesworld... whatever... i want to start to breed ball pythons, thats its, i know is hard, i know watching videos wont help me a lot, i know i have to read, a spend money, thats why im asking what do i have to do from the start?... like 1 dude said, buy a pastel and 2 female and start from them, a rack system, head system... thats things i need to know... i know in the future its gonna be more harder and i want it to become a business for me so im gonna need permits, a loca store and stuff like that, BUT NOW i want to start in my house, and yes i do have a ball python...

Ty for the ppl who give me your advice and keep it comming...

Thanks

Or, instead of being spoon fed information, you could look it up yourself? Aye, there ya go. You're member of a mountain of information right on this here website.

Call me picky, but why in the world should anyone that wants to breed not do the homework themselves?

It's one thing to ask a question or clarification about certain aspects of breeding, but your sitting there on your computer asking for people to write you a book on how to breed BP's as a business?

Why not get off your arse and look it up your own dang self?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

oliverstwist (08-27-2009),seclark (09-03-2009)

Thanks

im not asking for that :S... lol... im asking for advice... to ppl that know about breeding...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by empty. View Post
    im not asking for that :S... lol... im asking for advice... to ppl that know about breeding...
    I think you need to be a little more specific. Breeding is a complex process. What do you want advice on? Have you really done any research yet?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

i had read "the ball python manual", but the advice i want is... how much money do i need? 500 to 1000k? just to start like 1 male 2 female, do i need a rack system?... stuff like that

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

These are things you can easily look up yourself.

The money you spend will be based on what kind of morphs you want to produce. If you just want to produce some pastels then obviously your costs will be a lot lower than if you were to breed pieds.

Racks are the way to go if you plan on breeding. A lot of people like to make their own (myself included) but there are many places you can buy professionally made racks online.

You will also need an incubator and a rack for the hatchlings, as well as space for the babies once they grow up (if you don't sell them).

You will need a lot of money if you are just starting out. When do you want to start breeding by? That is also a big factor in how much money you will spend.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Buy one of these.I use the 32quart .
    http://www.visionproducts.us/htm7/racks.html

Then buy one of these
    http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-1000...=2&category=15

Also find a good rodent suplier.
    Look for a pair of Spiders and a pair pastels. Pretty cheep morphs to get you started.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast