Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

0 members and 2,974 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
  • 11-14-2009, 03:06 AM
    CA cowgirl
    Re: Feeder Euthanasia the Easy Way, and Humane too...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tiexecutioner View Post
    can you keep dry ice in a regular freezer?

I read in an reply several pages back that the standard freezers cannot keep the dry ice at a suitable temperature for preservation. No idea how much longer it'll last in a freezer v. room temp, but nothing significant.
  • 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
    CleopatraTurkeyBear
    We did this with a batch of mice and it worked great! Thanks for the wonderful tute with great pictures!!
  • 07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
    mommanessy247
    i was reading this thread cuz i initially thought "ok i could do this dry ice method to pre-kill 1 rat every week for my snake (when i have her home) so that i can sleep easy knowing i'm providing her safe meals.
    then...
    i got to the part of the thread that got into storing dry ice and saw that it cant be stored in a regular refridgerator freezer so i thought "ok that sucks so it it sounds like i'll have to buy dry ice every week to euthanize the 1 rat for that week's feeding."
    then...
    i got to the part of the tread where it said that the dry ice method has been declared IN humane...
    dammit! there goes my pre-killing a rat every week idea.
    buying pre-killed online or from stores is not an option because my boyfriend WILL NOT allow rat bodies to be kept in our freezer with our food...fine...i dont like that idea either. i can buy live and i can feed live but my concern is what if the rat decides to fight back and gets a good bite on the snake...then i've got an injured snake on my hands...
    hmmmm
    buying frozen = not an option
    pre-killing = no way to do it humanely now
    feeding live = risking the snake getting injured by a rat fighting back
    [throws hands up in the air]
    now what?
  • 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
    jfreels
    Get a small standing freezer on craigslist. After time passes, my wife has become more accepting of it. She doesn't even mind the defrosting mice/rats in the fridge. It's not like it stinks up all the other food.
  • 07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
    mommanessy247
    so buy a seperate freezer for the rats...hmm i think i can do that...dont see how my boyfriend could oppose that one.
  • 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM
    mommanessy247
    so after talking to my boyfriend about all the methods of feeding the snake he finally said "man up and just feed it live."
    [shrugs] which i guess i could if i watch over the feedings carefully to prevent the rat from biting the snake...which i was originally planning on doing anyways.
  • 07-29-2010, 05:09 AM
    mommanessy247
    ok...all things considered, last night i went back to the idea of investing in a seperate freezer and buying pre-killed/frozen from rodentpro or something like it. hmmm...
    but my bf says i'd be a hypocrite by doing that...dont follow his logic but whatever, the point is it'll be MY snake so I think i'm entitled to decide how I will feed it...
  • 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM
    nighthawk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    ok...all things considered, last night i went back to the idea of investing in a seperate freezer and buying pre-killed/frozen from rodentpro or something like it. hmmm...
    but my bf says i'd be a hypocrite by doing that...dont follow his logic but whatever, the point is it'll be MY snake so I think i'm entitled to decide how I will feed it...

If you are going to pre kill only one mouse for your snake, i would suggest to use vinegar and soda mix as link below
    http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/
    I've been using this method so far no ill effect for my corn and ball, that's no way for me to get dry ice here. Hope it helps,thanks
  • 07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
    mommanessy247
    ive gone back to feeding live thing...it'll take me too long to save up for the freezer and ordering of the rats...i can just closely supervise the feedings...no biggie.
  • 08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
    Kingofspades
    The thought that your snake can't handle what millions of snakes do in nature every day (aka killing their own prey) is pretty absurd.
    Just stay with your snake for a few minutes while it kills the rat and make sure the rat doesn't fight back.
    Problem solved.

Seriously...