Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

0 members and 3,207 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Very skinny ball python

Printable View

• 02-16-2017, 10:22 PM
    bcr229
    Re: Very skinny ball python
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargentnoid View Post
    Ok I have tried him twice more once at 6 days (with a f/t hopper) after I assist fed him and again at 8 (live hopper) and hes still not showing any sign of interest in food how long should I wait before I assist feed him again.
    And thanks again for all the help

Assist feeding is very stressful for the critter. I wouldn't do it more often than once a week.

If you can manage to chain two small feeders whose combined weight adds up to an appropriately sized meal that's often easier to get down the hatch than one larger feeder. If you have f/t feeders I would feed them wet or at least damp, as debilitated snakes are often dehydrated and it can take them a while to recover.

Also triple-check your temperatures to ensure the temperature is correct on both the warm and cool sides.
  • 02-17-2017, 01:34 AM
    Sargentnoid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Assist feeding is very stressful for the critter. I wouldn't do it more often than once a week.

If you can manage to chain two small feeders whose combined weight adds up to an appropriately sized meal that's often easier to get down the hatch than one larger feeder. If you have f/t feeders I would feed them wet or at least damp, as debilitated snakes are often dehydrated and it can take them a while to recover.

Also triple-check your temperatures to ensure the temperature is correct on both the warm and cool sides.

Ya what I didnt want to do was stress him out more than necessary but also dont want to go to long and I did chain 2 fuzzys when I fed him last insted of a small mouse and he has been drinking but I will try dampening the mice to get more in him
  • 02-17-2017, 09:25 AM
    CALM Pythons
    If this goes on for a bit id feed EOW (chain 2). That way your not stressing so often..did you get any uraits or poo from him/her yet?
  • 02-17-2017, 10:09 AM
    Sargentnoid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    If this goes on for a bit id feed EOW (chain 2). That way your not stressing so often..did you get any uraits or poo from him/her yet?

So far I've seen uraits 2 times and poo 2 times but the poo was small about the size of a rat pellet I assist fed him again last night and chain fed 2 fuzzys he was much stronger and and fought me much more than the first time but after several attempts he took it and he takes the second one easily
    Also what is EOW thats a term I havent run into yet
  • 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargentnoid View Post
    I assist fed him again last night and chain fed 2 fuzzys he was much stronger and and fought me much more than the first time

This is good, it means he's converting his food into growth and energy.

Also I'll give you fair warning, at some point while you're assist feeding that food response may kick in and he'll grab one of your fingers. I had a BRB baby do that. Fortunately they have small teeth when they're babies.
  • 02-17-2017, 11:02 AM
    Sargentnoid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    This is good, it means he's converting his food into growth and energy.

Also I'll give you fair warning, at some point while you're assist feeding that food response may kick in and he'll grab one of your fingers. I had a BRB baby do that. Fortunately they have small teeth when they're babies.

Right now I would love that this little guy has had me so worried I would gladly take getting bit if it ment he was trying to feed
  • 02-17-2017, 04:28 PM
    Kira
    I'm glad that he is improving. It's lucky that he was purchased by someone who is so kind and determined. Keep up the good work!
  • 02-18-2017, 09:44 AM
    melcvt00
    Hydration can be huge. I can't remember....how is your humidity, and have you done any warm water soaks yet? Absorbing through his skin can help tremendously.
  • 02-20-2017, 05:06 AM
    rdoyle
    How the little guy doing?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
  • 02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
    Sargentnoid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rdoyle View Post
    How the little guy doing?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hes still hanging in there he still shows no intrest in food so I've had to assist feed him twice (2 fuzzys each time) he drinks well and his scales are silky smooth unlike when he came in and felt like sand paper I've found uraits a few times and found poo twice though it was about the size and shape of a rat pellet so far I'm just trying to make shure his temp and humidity stay good and leave him alone the first time I assist fed him it was like holding a wet noodle this last time he was able to fight back and struggle more so his energy is definitely better
    Thanks to all the help I've received on here I'm actually starting to believe this guy has a chance