Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

1 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Reptile Defense Fund

Printable View

• 12-11-2013, 05:30 AM
    Mr Oni
    Reptile Defense Fund
    USARK is set in megazord attack mode

Spread the word!

http://usark.org/reptile-defense-fund-2/

Heres the Email
    ----------------------

Since 2010, the United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) has been working to oppose the listing of constrictor snakes under the Lacey Act and laying the legal groundwork for a possible challenge to any listing. Efforts to date include commissioning Georgetown Economic Services to document an economic impact study of the reptile industry and engaging the services of Kelley Drye as our legal and legislative consultants. Kelley Drye is the leading law firm in Washington D.C. in regards to the very specialized challenges that lay ahead of us, specifically due to their expertise in issues that potentially involve challenging adverse regulatory decisions and defending our rights. This process has involved detailed legal analyses as well as numerous meetings with officials in Washington D.C. where the foundations for placing us in the strongest possible position were laid.

Having notified the USFWS in April of our legal and public policy concerns over both the listed and pending species, we have determined that the time is right to formally challenge the rule.

In order to fully implement our legal strategy, the USARK Board of Directors has announced creation of a legal defense fund and issued a call to members for contributions. Contributions can be made at http://usark.org/reptile-defense-fund-2/.

This battle will be expensive and we must begin to secure funding immediately. USARK appreciates all donations and additional fundraising efforts. This fight and our continued battle against anti-reptile legislation would not be possible without your support. More details will be provided as they can be made public.

You can also mail checks made out to USARK to:

USARK Reptile Defense Fund
    3650 Sacramento Drive
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
  • 12-11-2013, 05:56 AM
    patientz3ro
    Re: Reptile Defense Fund
    Donated! If this doesn't deserve to be a sticky, I don't know what does!

On a related note, if you're not a member of USARK, you should be! Not only do they do a lot for us as keepers, the member shirts are SICK!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
  • 12-11-2013, 06:36 AM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    USARK should make ads of sad turtles and iguanas and advertise that on cable and satellite television. That'd do the trick. Just ask HSUS- it worked for them. :P
  • 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
    Marrissa
    Donated. Hope they can prevent more from being added. :please: I plan on owning a retic in the distant future and a boa in the more near future. Plus they shouldn't be able to discriminate against any of our pets with their bogus "facts".
  • 12-11-2013, 05:03 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    It'd be cool if the listed snake were removed from the Lacey Act seeing how they were added on unscientific and illogical basis.
  • 12-11-2013, 06:06 PM
    Doggey75
    Donated. I hope to get a boa in the near future and the lacey act will probably stop me if it isnt stopped.
  • 12-11-2013, 11:15 PM
    Marrissa
    Anyone see a goal they're working towards obtaining? Like X amount of money?
  • 12-12-2013, 12:11 AM
    3skulls
    Reptile Defense Fund
    I haven't seen a goal but I'm guessing they'll need more than what they will get.

Everyone keep spreading the word!
  • 12-12-2013, 05:14 AM
    patientz3ro
    Re: Reptile Defense Fund
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    It'd be cool if the listed snake were removed from the Lacey Act seeing how they were added on unscientific and illogical basis.

I think that's part of the plan. IIRC, immediately after the initial ban, they started planning to challenge it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
  • 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
    Marrissa
    I really wish I was breeding at this point in time and could donate several 2-3 gene animals for auction.