Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

2 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Built My Rack!

Printable View

• 03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
    Danegerous
    Re: Built My Rack!
    i think that would work great. you could even go taller. Just use the tubs for the height and you cant go wrong...
  • 06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
    ExoticsBySize
    Nice my next one will be very similar
  • 07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
    NorCalPythons
    does this rack bow?
  • 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
    Drew87
    Thats great thank you for posting this im going to use this forsure much cheaper. thank you !!!!
  • 10-05-2008, 12:05 AM
    ScottyDsntKnow
    One thing I feel I need to add to this thread. I'm in no way an expert at any herp stuff yet but I do know that the "surge protector" you posted is nothing more than a power strip. If there is any power surge in your place then that thing isn't going to do a thing to stop it. You need an ACTUAL surge protector with a good joule rating and that will kill itself for the greater good if it gets overloaded. I know most good tstats have fuses that'll blow in a surge but do you really want to chance it? You can get good Cyberpower surge protectors from places like newegg.com for $20 at most and they'll do the job just fine.

Also, did you wire your heat tape in sequence with some 12 gage wire or did you just do a bunch of individual plugs? I'm guessing the former.
  • 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
    ATLBalls
    thinking about making my own rack also and want to put in a overcurrent (surge) protection. I am going to simply put a inline fuse on one leg of the lamp cord with about a .5A fuse on there (depending on the type of FW). For example, lets say 1 foot of 11" FW @ 20W. 20W at full on will draw about 170mA (p = v*i). So the way I figure, if that thing starts to pull half an amp it's toast (thats about 60W).
  • 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
    takagari
    I just made my own rack. I have all the tools at home but I generally get the guys at Rona to cut my wood fo rme. Generally its free :D since I know them and SO much quicker.

I also wonder if your sags at all?
  • 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
    nixer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
    One thing I feel I need to add to this thread. I'm in no way an expert at any herp stuff yet but I do know that the "surge protector" you posted is nothing more than a power strip. If there is any power surge in your place then that thing isn't going to do a thing to stop it. You need an ACTUAL surge protector with a good joule rating and that will kill itself for the greater good if it gets overloaded. I know most good tstats have fuses that'll blow in a surge but do you really want to chance it? You can get good Cyberpower surge protectors from places like newegg.com for $20 at most and they'll do the job just fine.

Also, did you wire your heat tape in sequence with some 12 gage wire or did you just do a bunch of individual plugs? I'm guessing the former.

you dont need a surge protector inbetween the heattape and the thermostat(read the directions for the thermostat)
    and what would you need 12 gauge wire for!
  • 01-10-2009, 04:32 PM
    nixer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cpsinatl View Post
    thinking about making my own rack also and want to put in a overcurrent (surge) protection. I am going to simply put a inline fuse on one leg of the lamp cord with about a .5A fuse on there (depending on the type of FW). For example, lets say 1 foot of 11" FW @ 20W. 20W at full on will draw about 170mA (p = v*i). So the way I figure, if that thing starts to pull half an amp it's toast (thats about 60W).

that wont work at all
  • 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
    Whogamawut
    has anyone found tubs for this rack that fit like the old sterilite 32qt?