Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

3 members and 3,342 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Pit Info?

Printable View

• 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
    Brewster320
    Pit Info?
    I've always been interested in pits and I was wondering which pits have the best temperments for first time pit owners and which species/subspecies get the largest/smallest? Thanks for the great info, I was looking for something with a decent temperment because I understand how pits can be a "little" cranky. Also I was looking for something with larger size because I work mainly with corns and balls and other similar small snakes so I'd like something a bit bigger. Thanks for the info!
  • 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
    wilomn
    Re: Pit Info?
    There's a guy out your way name of Harrold Moore, I believe. He's a Mod over on Fauna, name's in blue.

He breeds some of the nicest Bullsnakes I've ever seen. He's got several colours going.

I don't recall his site but he's easy to find over at fauna. I highly recommend him.
  • 07-28-2009, 01:46 AM
    Skiploder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
    I've always been interested in pits and I was wondering which pits have the best temperments for first time pit owners and which species/subspecies get the largest/smallest? Thanks for the great info, I was looking for something with a decent temperment because I understand how pits can be a "little" cranky. Also I was looking for something with larger size because I work mainly with corns and balls and other similar small snakes so I'd like something a bit bigger. Thanks for the info!

I have a couple of sonoran gopher snakes that I got from Tom Stevens.

I also have a couple of black pine snakes.

That's about the extent of my pit collection.

Prior to buying the pines, I was warned that they were snappy and ill tempered. I have found both of them to be exceedingly reluctant to bite.

Gophers are great snakes and in my opinion, make a great beginner snake period.

Yes gophers tend to tail rattle and make that special hissing noise with their epiglottis - but they aren't (as a rule) biters. I live in an area where we are blessed with a lot of pacific gophers and I have only been bitten once when trying to handle a wild one.

One of my favorite pituophis pages is:

http://www.freewebs.com/slitherbriggs/

While my sonorans are still wee little yearlings, I have seen a sonoran gopher that was just a hair under 7' long.
  • 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
    icygirl
    I would highly recommend cape (a.k.a. baja) gophers. I bought my girl when she was already 6 years old, and the breeder said she was rarely handled. Despite lack of handling in the past, she is very very sweet, never even tried to strike me, and a gorgeous snake. Eats every week, and only needs to be kept around 70 cool side 80 warm side. And she's only around 400g, lighter than my adult cornsnake, but comparable in length. They are a great choice as a first Pit!

See my thread for pics: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=96579
  • 07-31-2009, 05:39 AM
    hhmoore
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    There's a guy out your way name of Harrold Moore, I believe. He's a Mod over on Fauna, name's in blue.

He breeds some of the nicest Bullsnakes I've ever seen. He's got several colours going.

I don't recall his site but he's easy to find over at fauna. I highly recommend him.

I stick my nose in here every now and then, too...
    Thanks for the kind words, Wes. Hope all is well with you.

Harald
  • 10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
    OG2
    I like the Gophers my self, I still keep a couple pairs of san diego's so I have something to offer the pit lover here in the store. Brewster, How's that sweet mojave male doing?
  • 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM
    leper65
    I believe the Pines are generally larger than the Gophers and Bullsnakes. I've seen some pictures of some monster Black Pines and Northern Pines... 7' plus and quite girthy. When I first got her, my Northern Pine hissed and vibrated her tail a lot when I was getting her out to feed, but she's quit doing that and has never tried to bite.
  • 05-13-2010, 06:14 AM
    nextherp13
    would a mexican pine be a good choice???