Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

2 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM
    xKxLxHx
    Re: DIY Home-made "realistic" Hides
    Hello, new to the forums, and BP's in general. (Just got mine on Sunday!)

Anyway, I'll try to ask my question without rambling too much. I just spent a good amount of money, and with my PT job, it left me pretty much broke, I have everything I need, such as heating and junk, but right now I'm just using a small cardboard box and a cleaned out plastic popcorn jar as hides, and want to make my own.

My question is, since we don't have any type of glass or existing hide, is it at all possible to make the mold on a bowl, but take it off before I stick it in the oven? I did read in a previous post that it would be hard to make your own mold from scratch, but I was wondering if it would work to make the mold from a bowl, then take it off, so as not to melt/crack anything we have?

Sorry for the long and possibly confusing question, but thanks in advance!
  • 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
    llovelace
    You can use an existing bowl as a form as long as it isn't plastic or non baking safe glassware, any ceramic type bowl will work, and you can't remove form until after baking. Have fun :)
  • 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
    llovelace
    Opps :welcome:
  • 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
    grammie
    you can use just about anything that isn't plastic for a mold. I need to get one more coat of color on them and then seal. I messed up the lines on top, it was dark and I didn't study. I'm going to make these for all the baby milks, but they probaby won't last long due to size. :) I used airdry clay I already had.
    Left is the mold, right is mine.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...f5784small.jpg
  • 01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
    JamieLynn
    The small hides I made used a decorative glass bowl, the larger round ones used a metal mixing bowl, and the rectangle ones used a baking pan.
    Any microwave safe non-plastic dish should work.. The oven temp is low enough.

grammie, yours are reall cool, I like them
  • 02-11-2009, 05:07 PM
    SamuraiZr0
    I tried it and it worked wonderfully!! thanks
  • 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
    pitbulls4me
    I have a question though. I made them the other night and they cooked for an hour and a half. Mine are still kind of soft. Is it not good to use and I should make the next one thinner? It was a lot of fun and easy to make I just think I might have screwed it up! Any help would be great!
  • 02-13-2009, 11:36 AM
    OhBalls
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pitbulls4me View Post
    I have a question though. I made them the other night and they cooked for an hour and a half. Mine are still kind of soft. Is it not good to use and I should make the next one thinner? It was a lot of fun and easy to make I just think I might have screwed it up! Any help would be great!

Just add flour till it's the consistency of play-doh. Be sure you don't spread it too thick. Should work. Good luck!:gj::)
  • 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
    snakelover88
    ty!!! :gj: :bow:
  • 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM
    mechnut450
    i am gonigot give this a shot tomorrow befoer the nascar race so I won't bothe the rest of the house with it.. I going to use all the gaming paints i got as my paint supplie ( it all water based) and then seal it all real good. I aslo figure with out painting or waterproofing these would make good hides for rodents and they can even chew on them lol.. Given the number of rodents i got they not last long. I also think a good mold could/would be a dvd spindle holder if they would not of melted since don't have much height. looksd around room and ponders soem other modld ideals. I wish i stil had all my resit on hand i had a good amount left over but it dried up on me .