Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

3 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Hook training??

Printable View

• 01-19-2021, 09:41 PM
    Newtot
    Hook training??
    How do yall hook train? Just curious on what peoples methods are. I am going to be training my male burmese. Hes a baby and right now is a total ass lol����
  • 01-19-2021, 10:16 PM
    jmcrook
    Re: Hook training??
    I just open the door and give the animal a sec to understand that an interaction is underway, introduce the hook in their line of sight, gently touch on the back while breaking their line of sight if possible and then lift them up.

Do this every time before you handle the animal and never before feeding the animal. They’ll settle down with time. If I’m just changing water or spot cleaning I only bother with the hook if they are awake and within striking range of whatever I’m doing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-21-2021, 03:07 PM
    Newtot
    Ok cool bc my new burmese baby is an ass to say the least. He strikes at me for watering him lol
  • 01-21-2021, 04:51 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtot View Post
    Ok cool bc my new burmese baby is an ass to say the least. He strikes at me for watering him lol

That's defensive behavior which is typical for babies. Hooking is to help break the food response, though it doesn't hurt to start the training now.
  • 01-22-2021, 01:12 PM
    Newtot
    Ok guys thanks!!! He is an absolute spaz like i have never seen. Hes been here since Tuesday. i tried feeding him today and all he wanted to do was kill me lol. So i left the food, he smells it but hasnt eatin yet. I guess ill remove it if he doesnt eat and try again later
  • 01-22-2021, 01:43 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    I’d suggest feeding at night and leaving the prey item in the cage overnight if he doesn’t take it from the tongs or if you don’t have other snakes to feed the refused prey to.
  • 01-22-2021, 01:49 PM
    jmcrook
    Also, he’s only been with you for 3 days? I wouldn’t try feeding until he’s been there a week and leave him completely alone during that time aside from necessary cleaning and water changes. No handling until it’s feeding consistently and without issue either

• 01-22-2021, 02:33 PM
    Newtot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Also, he’s only been with you for 3 days? I wouldn’t try feeding until he’s been there a week and leave him completely alone during that time aside from necessary cleaning and water changes. No handling until it’s feeding consistently and without issue either

I haven't handled him other than to place him in the enclosure. And i was just getting info bc im hook training my boa as well.