Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

1 members and 3,341 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Feeding concern

Printable View

• 11-13-2017, 09:02 AM
    L.West
    Feeding concern
    I have a 6 foot boa that lately has become so aggressive at feeding time. He is just so wild when I try to feed him. I mean like striking the glass as I approached with the rat on tongs. It's like he goes freakin nuts.

Is this normal?? Should I maybe feed more often. I currently feed one rat every 10-12 days.
  • 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM
    cchardwick
    You should post a photo of him, my guess is that he is underfed. I would feed every 5 days, maybe increase the size of the rodent until he gets up to a good weight and chills out, then cut back again. How old is he? If he is still young he may need more food too until he gets a bit of age on him.
  • 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM
    L.West
    Re: Feeding concern
    He is 2 years old. About 1800 grams I think. He currently eats approx. 65 gram rat every 10-12 days. I was warned not to over feed him. I guess I could start weekly feeding for him.

I will post a pic of him shortly.
  • 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    Boas can be highly responsive to food and quite a few of mine strike the cage front on feeding day (and one strikes anytime he sees a shadow which is super annoying). I wouldn't really worry about it. The only thing that can sometimes happen if they strike badly, they can catch a tooth on a lip, normally I'll (with help) open their mouth to fix it for them, however this doesn't happen very often thank goodness. I wish there was a magic trick to get them to knock it off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I would feed every 5 days

No, please do not do that. Boas should not eat that often.
  • 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM
    Dutti
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    He is 2 years old. About 1800 grams I think. He currently eats approx. 65 gram rat every 10-12 days. I was warned not to over feed him. I guess I could start weekly feeding for him.

I will post a pic of him shortly.

Underfeeding is also bad. Did anyone warn you of that? I would suggest that you continue feeding him every 10-12 days and increase the size of the rat. 65 grams rat is obviously small for a 6 foot 2 years old boa. At least the rat should be double that size, or even treble.
  • 11-13-2017, 03:25 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    For boas, use the girth rule. Feed a prey item no larger than the thickest part of the body.
  • 11-13-2017, 03:49 PM
    KevinK
    Before seeing actual pictures of the animal in question, I would say this is normal behavior....

Boas are EXTREMELY food responsive and it can trigger fast in an animal that has a better sense of smell or knows feeding time is approaching. I've never had one refuse a meal to put it lightly....and I've had hundreds of boas in my hands over the years.

At six feet long and two years old, I would be feeding a sizable rat every two weeks. I agree though, at six feet long, a 65 gram rat seems small for his size. A medium rat seems far more appropriate to me but I would need to see pictures of the animal. Considering my longer feeding schedule I will actually feed prey somewhat larger than the girth, but everyone does things differently. Of course, if you feed more often a smaller prey item it more appropriate.

Post a picture of your animal with a dollar bill next to his body so that we can judge how big his girth is.
  • 11-13-2017, 04:06 PM
    L.West
    I'm trying to post a pic but photobucket is not cooperating- ugh
  • 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM
    KevinK
    Try Tinypic
  • 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM
    L.West
    Here is his pic