Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

2 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,544
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks

What Do You Use?

Printable View

• 02-06-2019, 04:31 AM
    Zincubus
    Re: What Do You Use?
    A mix of eco earth and orchid bark kept slightly damp is nice ..
    You get to use up the two blocks ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM
    jmcrook
    Pro Coco coconut husk chips. Same exact thing as reptichip and 1/3-1/2 the price.
    I use either that or occasionally paper: newspaper or contractors paper from Lowe's.
    Aspen on occasion as well, nice during the summer months when I don't need to boost humidity in the enclosures
  • 02-23-2019, 09:47 PM
    MuicyJelon
    Eco earth mixed with Forrest floor. Good for keeping humidity levels stable.

• 02-24-2019, 01:45 PM
    Mr. Misha
    I use coco husk from Pro Coco as well. I've been using coco husk since I forst started keeping reptiles and I love it! In an enclosed tank, it keeps great humidity.
  • 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM
    CALM Pythons
    Butcher/Craft paper.

• 02-27-2019, 09:07 PM
    Godzilla78
    What Do You Use?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Butcher/Craft paper.

Now that I have a small breeding business and dozen of snakes, I switched to builders paper, huge rolls 3 feet wide. It’s easy to clean the tubs, and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk.
  • 02-28-2019, 12:26 PM
    Andiamo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Forest Floor cypress mulch.

As a random side note I did try to use paper towel for a brief time (exactly one day) in the first few weeks I got my first BP as I thought it might be easier to monitor his health. He absolutely hated the paper towel. He refused to touch it!

that's funny, when I brought my guy home I had him set up with coco fiber and cypress mulch and he hated it....recoiled and didn't want to be put down. I swapped it out for some paper and he took to it like a duck to water.
  • 02-28-2019, 12:55 PM
    mdb730
    After all the positive reviews from people on this forum I took the dive and purchased 6 reptile prime bags for all my snakes to change from Reptichip. It is true that reptile prime holds humidity very well and really absorbs. Funny story, my retired next door neighbor sometimes babysits my 2 year old son and is an avid gardener. She noticed one bag of reptile prime and told me it looks exactly like the stuff she uses for rooting and making her own potting soil. Well the product was almost exactly the same thing. I have been testing this stuff side by side with reptile prime for 2 weeks and the results so far are close as far as I can tell. Aside from the price being higher and the quantity being less for reptile prime (.93 cbft vs 2.5 cbft) the main difference I find is reptile prime is slightly larger, they seem to absorb at the same rate and of course having to soak the block vs it already being loose in the bag. Reptile prime is a great product, I was very happy with the results but price wise for me it does not make sense since so far the results are comparable. I have not revealed the name of this produce because I want to see how it holds up a little longer,if any one wants to check for themselves they can PM me.
  • 03-15-2019, 01:02 PM
    SilentHill
    Depends....paper towels for geckos. our BPs are on paper towels or chips, colubrids are all on aspen
  • 03-16-2019, 10:05 AM
    MarkL1561
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb730 View Post
    After all the positive reviews from people on this forum I took the dive and purchased 6 reptile prime bags for all my snakes to change from Reptichip. It is true that reptile prime holds humidity very well and really absorbs. Funny story, my retired next door neighbor sometimes babysits my 2 year old son and is an avid gardener. She noticed one bag of reptile prime and told me it looks exactly like the stuff she uses for rooting and making her own potting soil. Well the product was almost exactly the same thing. I have been testing this stuff side by side with reptile prime for 2 weeks and the results so far are close as far as I can tell. Aside from the price being higher and the quantity being less for reptile prime (.93 cbft vs 2.5 cbft) the main difference I find is reptile prime is slightly larger, they seem to absorb at the same rate and of course having to soak the block vs it already being loose in the bag. Reptile prime is a great product, I was very happy with the results but price wise for me it does not make sense since so far the results are comparable. I have not revealed the name of this produce because I want to see how it holds up a little longer,if any one wants to check for themselves they can PM me.

Couldn’t the gardening product have pests in it? Aren’t reptile products heat treated?