Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

1 members and 3,176 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
  • 04-07-2019, 10:24 PM
    TechnoCheese
    What to do with uneaten thawed rodents?
    I do not have a snake yet, but I’ve been thinking, can you do anything with thawed rodents if your snake doesn’t eat it besides throw it away?

Taxidermy? Give it to the cat? Have a unique barbecue and invite the neighbors without telling them what kind of meat it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-07-2019, 10:40 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Many people will refreeze one time. If it's refused a second time it gets tossed.

I just toss my refusals into the yard and some neighborhood animal gets a treat. It's always gone by morning.

But, if you get more snakes one of them will always eat it, hehehehehe.
  • 04-07-2019, 11:08 PM
    Bogertophis
    I don't re-freeze...they get so gross (texture suffers greatly) & have more bacterial growth (ie. more likely to make your snake barf). Refused rodents are
    very rare here, fortunately. (-I don't keep BPs, lol.) But when I lived in the desert, I did keep BPs along with many other snakes, & any refused or excess
    rodents got tossed over my fence & into the surrounding fields at night, where coyotes were tickled to receive them. It's really best not to re-offer rodents
    to other snakes...especially if any snakes are newly arrived, as this practice is apt to share mites or diseases with other snakes. If you're going to re-offer
    thawed rodents, it's best to only do this between long-term snakes that are known to be healthy, but it's still never risk-free.
    By now, anyone that knows me (& what's in my freezer) also knows better than to force me to cook for a pot-luck. :rofl:
  • 04-08-2019, 08:48 AM
    fadingdaylight
    Re: What to do with uneaten thawed rodents?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoCheese View Post
    Have a unique barbecue and invite the neighbors without telling them what kind of meat it is?

Almost shot coffee out of my nose right there. I usually just pitch them. My first choice was to toss them out back for the crows, but that wasn't popular with the rest of the house.
  • 04-08-2019, 09:07 AM
    GoingPostal
    I just toss them in with my ferrets. Perks of having a few other carnivores in the house.
  • 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM
    EL-Ziggy
    When I had just 1 or 2 snakes I would refreeze refused feeders once and I never had any problems. I don't have that issue anymore. With (11) snakes there's always a hungry critter waiting for a meal.
  • 04-08-2019, 11:23 AM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    It becomes wildlife food (I live on 4 acres in the country so it's an advantage)
  • 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM
    Bogertophis
    I would totally feed the buzzards here, or crows too. Just have to find a woods or field...neighbors in town won't likely appreciate. :rolleyes:
  • 04-08-2019, 12:58 PM
    WhompingWillow
    I also toss them. There's a definite change in appearance even from them being left in the cage overnight. Now, if I had a refusal and wasn't going to leave it in the cage, I would just give to another snake.
  • 04-08-2019, 01:04 PM
    Eye4Pythons
    One of my bigger BPs is a slithering trash can. He's always happy to take an extra in the rare case one of the others doesn't eat.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd probably just toss it out for a local scavenger.

- Charles Eye