Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

1 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Bought too many rats

Printable View

• 09-15-2018, 01:04 AM
    redshepherd
    1 year is totally fine. I've been told they just lose some scent so it might smell less appetizing. But I still feed rats from pinks to larges that have been in the freezer for 1 year+, and my snakes all take it.
  • 09-15-2018, 03:43 PM
    KevinK
    Re: Bought too many rats
    Personally.....I look at it this way......

Will I eat old freezer burned ice cream by just scraping off the top layer?......yup. Will I eat venison and beef frozen for longer than a year?.....yup. :rofl:

So I don't think my snakes mind. Not to mention you can save a boatload of money buying in bulk so its worth it anyways .
  • 09-15-2018, 07:53 PM
    Godzilla78
    I buy in bulk, it’s been 10 months and I’m still feeding that frozen bulk buy. Snakes still love them! Gobbling them up like candy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-15-2018, 08:23 PM
    Bogertophis
    I agree, a year is fine. Freezer burn is mostly an appearance issue, not important as far as I know, but can be minimized by keeping well sealed. The main
    thing is maintaining the right temperature to stay frozen solid. (about 0*)
  • 09-16-2018, 01:20 AM
    BR8080
    Another vote for food saver.

​I would highly recommend getting yourself a food saver. Not only for your feeders but your own food as well. I've eaten venison 6 years after sealing it and it's still as delicious as the day I vacuum sealed it.

When you do your orders just seal enough for a month or so and you'll be good to go.
  • 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM
    mich
    OMG. Woke up to all these wonderful replies. Thank you all! I did call them to modify the order from 100 to 75 rats. On the average, I am paying about $1.6 for each rat. I know for some people on this forum, this is expensive. But I figured since this is my first time doing a bulk order, it is probably better for me to err on the safe side by not ordering more than I can handle lol. I confirmed that they come vacuum sealed but I also have a sealer if needed. I am just so happy that my girls switched to rats with no problems whatsoever so I don't have to worry about getting mice as well. The best part is that I no longer require PetSmart mice.

tttaylorrr - I live in California. I got a mix of fuzzies and pups.