Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

2 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Blood breeding question

Printable View

• 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM
    sur3fir3
    Blood breeding question
    So I decided a while ago that I'm not going to breed, but I am still going to buy snakes that in case I change my mind that I will be able to breed what I have. So here is the question. I've read that Blood Python females wont breed if purchased as adults. I am looking to purchase a 4 year old T- Female to go with my male. So is it true that Blood python females wont breed if not purchased as a Juvenile?
  • 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM
    sur3fir3
    no response?
  • 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Blood breeding question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    So I decided a while ago that I'm not going to breed, but I am still going to buy snakes that in case I change my mind that I will be able to breed what I have. So here is the question. I've read that Blood Python females wont breed if purchased as adults. I am looking to purchase a 4 year old T- Female to go with my male. So is it true that Blood python females wont breed if not purchased as a Juvenile?

I have no experience with bloods, but where did you read that? Maybe they were saying it takes a while for adult snakes to settle in when re-homed? or maybe it's
    that many adult females available on the market are there because they failed to breed, or because they are no longer productive? I would expect to pay a premium
    price for a healthy female snake in the prime of her breeding life, but if you don't mind that & can find a trustworthy* source...? (*for the snake's age & true condition)
  • 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM
    Lord Sorril
    Re: Blood breeding question
    I think that is a generalization in reference to wild caught blood python specimens.

Excerpt from: http://vpi.com/publications/blood_py...ation_and_care
    'Wild-caught adult female blood pythons are extremely difficult to breed in captivity. Probably less than 1% of imported adult female blood pythons will ever lay eggs in captivity. This is not true of wild-caught males, many of which will breed successfully in captivity. But if one wants to breed blood pythons, we strongly recommend that they raise the females from hatchlings.'

I am aware of several captive bred female blood pythons that have changed hands over the years as adults and continue to reproduce successfully.
  • 05-21-2019, 09:57 AM
    sur3fir3
    OK Guys thanks. it is a possibility that they were referring to wild caught specimens. Thanks !!! :)