Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

2 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 11-01-2017, 06:14 AM
    Team Slytherin
    Re: Introducing Apophis (pic heavy)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MmmBanana View Post
    These snakes interest me a lot! Could you share some information about why they aren't commonly kept? Are they difficult to take care of? Expensive? Not common/rare?

They are really a fantastic species; if you ever come across one, scoop it up! I am actually surprised they are not found more often, as they are a dwarf locality of the Amethystine complex. So basically, you can enjoy the feisty intelligence and attitude of a scrub in a size that is actually manageable. From what I can tell, they are just really hard to find. There are alot of restrictions in regards to the export of scrub pythons, and I hear Tanimbars are not easy to breed in captivity.

Husbandry is pretty straight-forward. Similar to a green tree python, but without the threat of impending death if it's not perfect from the start ;) They are arboreal, HIGHLY intelligent, and ultra-alert. Also, being bird-eaters, they have very long teeth and pack a hell of a bite. I got lucky with my little one and he's mostly a bluffer. Getting him out of the viv can be a struggle, but once he's out, he is really fun. Scrubs can be notoriously difficult to handle, so I definitely think I lucked out.

Although, any time I've toted him along to the pet store from whence he came, everyone on staff is shocked that he is the animal I took home. He had a bit of a bad reputation ;) So yeah, I randomly came across him at a local reptile store where I always buy feeders for my Dumeril's. I walked past his cage and literally back-pedaled. He hissed at me and it was love at first site (although, he's never done it again!).
  • 11-03-2017, 02:08 AM
    Team Slytherin
    Somebody is not happy about going from a 7 day to a 10 day feeding schedule! Grabbed the tongs instead of the rat!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c553012e18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 11-04-2017, 06:08 AM
    MmmBanana
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    They are really a fantastic species; if you ever come across one, scoop it up! I am actually surprised they are not found more often, as they are a dwarf locality of the Amethystine complex. So basically, you can enjoy the feisty intelligence and attitude of a scrub in a size that is actually manageable. From what I can tell, they are just really hard to find. There are alot of restrictions in regards to the export of scrub pythons, and I hear Tanimbars are not easy to breed in captivity.

Husbandry is pretty straight-forward. Similar to a green tree python, but without the threat of impending death if it's not perfect from the start ;) They are arboreal, HIGHLY intelligent, and ultra-alert. Also, being bird-eaters, they have very long teeth and pack a hell of a bite. I got lucky with my little one and he's mostly a bluffer. Getting him out of the viv can be a struggle, but once he's out, he is really fun. Scrubs can be notoriously difficult to handle, so I definitely think I lucked out.

Although, any time I've toted him along to the pet store from whence he came, everyone on staff is shocked that he is the animal I took home. He had a bit of a bad reputation ;) So yeah, I randomly came across him at a local reptile store where I always buy feeders for my Dumeril's. I walked past his cage and literally back-pedaled. He hissed at me and it was love at first site (although, he's never done it again!).

Thank you for the information! Im still new to the community.... hobby? lol. I currently only own ball pythons, but I am really interested in getting one of these in the future! I look forward to seeing more pictures! :)
  • 11-09-2017, 10:03 AM
    Team Slytherin
  • 11-11-2017, 12:39 AM
    GreenTea
    Thanks for sharing, just gorgeous..
  • 11-28-2017, 05:30 PM
    Team Slytherin
  • 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM
    Team Slytherin
    He also discovered the Dumeril’s enclosure [emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4bd35faecf.jpg

• 12-13-2017, 10:47 AM
    Team Slytherin
    Another perfect shed from this guy. Up 5 inches in 6 weeks! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac943d7d8d.jpg

Switching him from a 7-day to a 10-day feeding cycle and he was not happy about the extra wait! Started with a rat pup, then left the room for MAYBE two minutes. Came back and it was gone! He reared up like a demon, with a look that screamed, “WHERE’S THE OTHER ONE?!” I had to squeeze my quail-laiden tongs through a barely cracked glass door to avoid losing a hand! The feeding response on this beast is otherworldly.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5cb48a9b9e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...be236bd8e0.jpg

• 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM
    EL-Ziggy
    He's a real beauty Slytherin!
  • 12-24-2017, 10:10 AM
    Team Slytherin