Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

3 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 06-15-2021, 07:05 PM
    Homebody
    Heat Tape Installation Help
    Please advise me how to protect the heat tape from rubbing against the tub. I don't have the tools or skill to recess it. I'm thinking I can put a piece of sheet metal on top of it. Any better ideas?
  • 06-15-2021, 07:33 PM
    Erie_herps
    Do not put the metal on top of the heat tape! It will cause a fire. The metal will cause a short circuit and the tape could reach hundreds of degrees. Add something like linoleum tiles under the tubs so rather than moving the tape lower you're moving the tus higher.
  • 06-15-2021, 07:34 PM
    nikkubus
    I'm not sure why you are worried about it rubbing on the tub, most of my racks have had the tubs rub on the heat tape and it's never been an issue. A few have had the heat tape on the back instead of the bottom of the tub. Do you mean the edges getting pushed up? I use aluminum tape to secure the heat tape to the rack, which conducts heat.
  • 06-15-2021, 07:43 PM
    Homebody
    Re: Heat Tape Installation Help
    No metal. Got it. Thanks.
  • 06-15-2021, 07:46 PM
    Homebody
    I just thought that the tub rubbing the tape would damage the tape over time. If you say it won't, then I won't worry about it. Thanks.
  • 06-15-2021, 07:59 PM
    Erie_herps
    If you have the tape mounted on the bottom and the tubs are rubbing then it will damage it. However, if the tape is on the back and the tubs aren't rubbing it then it won't damage it. It would take many years of rubbing to cause damage but eventually they would need replaced and I've heard of the tape reaching dangerous levels because of this.
  • 06-15-2021, 08:34 PM
    nikkubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    If you have the tape mounted on the bottom and the tubs are rubbing then it will damage it. However, if the tape is on the back and the tubs aren't rubbing it then it won't damage it. It would take many years of rubbing to cause damage but eventually they would need replaced and I've heard of the tape reaching dangerous levels because of this.

Weird, I've never had that happen but I suppose it's possible after many, many years. Maybe some brands have thinner plastic coating? I want to say the oldest rack I've ever had is 15 years or so, normally the wood sagging is the first problem I have and I redo the whole thing.
  • 06-15-2021, 08:49 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

My tub has a wide lip all the way around (cement mixing tub). I think it's too much of a gap. Besides, I've always used and prefer belly heat for my ball python.
  • 06-15-2021, 08:58 PM
    Homebody
    Quote:

My tub has a wide lip all the way around (cement mixing tub). I think it's too much of a gap. Besides, I've always used and prefer belly heat for my ball python.
  • 06-15-2021, 09:03 PM
    bcr229
    What size heat tape? We have a large DIY rack made from a plastic shelving unit, and covered the 11"x12" pieces of heat tape with pieces of 12"x12"x.08" acrylic sheet screwed into the rack. Kind of pricey but it worked, and we can easily disassemble and move the rack if needed since the heat tape isn't' actually attached to anything, the acrylic sheet holds it on the shelves.

Tubs are 54 qt under-bed style so they're pretty heavy and the rubbing tub would definitely damage the heat tape if it weren't protected.