Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,177

0 members and 1,177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585

ASF VS Rats?

Printable View

• 11-29-2013, 08:20 PM
    unholyterror16
    ASF VS Rats?
    Hello,
    I was just wondering which is better for ball pythons to eat?
    Are ASF rats better or the same as rats to feed ball pythons?
    Any information will help, thank you!
    Billy
  • 11-29-2013, 10:18 PM
    shadowsnakes
    From what I've read, both ASFs and rats provide a nutritionally complete food for ball pythons. It comes down to breeder and snake preference... some breeders prefer ASFs because they have less odor than rats, some snakes prefer ASFs because they are more enticing. I prefer rats because they are easier to get in my locale, and they are less likely to spontaniously eat their young. Luckily my snakes don't know what an ASF is or I might be in trouble!
  • 11-30-2013, 12:10 AM
    Crazymonkee
    Once given asfs they may not go back to rats so be careful. Make sure they're constantly available and won't be too pricey, as they cost more than rats.
    I believe they are both nutritionally comparable. Asfs are their native food, that's why some people with picky eaters will try asfs to get a feeding response.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • 11-30-2013, 12:36 AM
    bcr229
    Re: ASF VS Rats?
    My live supplier breeds both rats and ASF's. Occasionally if he's just filled a large order he won't have enough live rats for my 7 that are eating small rats, so that week they'll get a large ASF. They'll take either without any issues. The only difference I've seen is that an ASF will bite you faster and harder than a rat will. :mad:
  • 11-30-2013, 02:24 AM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Translation: Demon VS Rat LoL
    I use to breed both, ASFs can and will chew their way out of everything including a 55 gal tank :O
    No real difference when feeding other than availability.
  • 11-30-2013, 02:45 AM
    The Serpent Merchant
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    Once given asfs they may not go back to rats so be careful. Make sure they're constantly available and won't be too pricey, as they cost more than rats.
    I believe they are both nutritionally comparable. Asfs are their native food, that's why some people with picky eaters will try asfs to get a feeding response.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This does depend on the area, ASF's are actually much cheaper here in Orlando if you know where to look.

I recently started breeding my own ASF's and I really like them. With the exception of a male that is a problem child they are calm and don't mind being handled. (though that does seem to vary with ASF's)
  • 11-30-2013, 02:50 AM
    anatess
    ASFs are illegal in some States unless you get them shipped into your State already frozen.

My snakes are on ASFs because I breed my own rats. I only have 6 ball pythons and some of them go on fasts so there are times when my ASFs get to grow up for a while before they get fed off. ASFs can't outgrow my snakes so I can keep them for months and months without a problem. I can't do that with the rats because they'll eventually get to be bigger than what my snakes can handle.

There are times when I run out of appropriate sized ASFs, so I would go to the store for that week. It's rare to find adult ASFs in the stores here so I usually end up with rats. My bps will eat either one.
  • 11-30-2013, 03:26 AM
    I-KandyReptiles
    ASF VS Rats?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by unholyterror16 View Post
    Hello,
    I was just wondering which is better for ball pythons to eat?
    Are ASF rats better or the same as rats to feed ball pythons?
    Any information will help, thank you!
    Billy

They are basically the same.

Both have pros and cons, but you'll find that most will suggest you get your snake on Norway rats.

ASFs take a long time to reach their adult size and will never be too large for an adult ball python. To keep a snake satisfied, you will have to feed multiples. My live eaters all eat ASFs, and have no issue switching back and forth to mice.

Norways CAN get too large for a ball python, so unless you're producing just enough to feed your snakes, you might have to euthanize some. What's nice is that you can feed one appropriately sized rat instead of multiple ASFs.
  • 11-30-2013, 04:32 AM
    anatess
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    They are basically the same.

Both have pros and cons, but you'll find that most will suggest you get your snake on Norway rats.

ASFs take a long time to reach their adult size and will never be too large for an adult ball python. To keep a snake satisfied, you will have to feed multiples. My live eaters all eat ASFs, and have no issue switching back and forth to mice.

Norways CAN get too large for a ball python, so unless you're producing just enough to feed your snakes, you might have to euthanize some. What's nice is that you can feed one appropriately sized rat instead of multiple ASFs.

I don't feed multiples. I feed one ASF weekly. The ASF is at least 3 months old.
  • 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I don't feed multiples. I feed one ASF weekly.

How large are your snakes?