Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,132

3 members and 2,129 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
  • 09-14-2020, 01:42 PM
    L.West
    Re: Panamanian Hypo Boa with a lump
    I called the vet to confirm that the type of bacteria was determined and appropriate meds will be used. They said yes

He last ate this past Sunday so he is scheduled for his first shot this Wednesday which will be over 48 hours since eating. Is this okay
  • 09-14-2020, 03:34 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    He last ate this past Sunday so he is scheduled for his first shot this Wednesday which will be over 48 hours since eating. Is this okay

Should be fine. I just wouldn't feed again until a week after the last injection, which would likely be normal schedule anyway for an older boa.
  • 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM
    L.West
    Okay, thanks. I only feed once a month now so it should work out good.
  • 09-17-2020, 11:23 AM
    L.West
    Yesterday was Sawyers first set of injections. He is such a trooper - he did so good. The drs seem confident that after the 3.5 weeks of injections done every 3 days he should be fine. Fingers crossed.
  • 10-09-2020, 02:44 PM
    L.West
    **Update on Sawyer** as of Wednesday, October 7th he completed the last of his injections of Fortaz and Amikasin.

He did great for the shots every 3 days. The lump has diminished if not completely gone - its hard to see. I pray is stays gone.

When should I offer him a meal again?? They think it may have been a scrape inside his body from the claws of the f/t rat and then it got infected. So, I think I may cut the nails on the feeder rats before feeding to avoid this ever happening again.

It was an expensive experience for sure.

Thanks
  • 10-09-2020, 03:35 PM
    bcr229
    I would feed again on the 18th to give the antibiotic time to be fully excreted.

Quote:

They think it may have been a scrape inside his body from the claws of the f/t rat and then it got infected.
    I lost a boa to that last year, except the infection presented as an eye infection/swelling rather than a neck swelling because of the infection's location. So, we treated for eye issues instead of using an all-around course of antibiotics.
  • 10-09-2020, 03:43 PM
    L.West
    for some reason I can't open the link you sent.

Would love to read about it.
  • 10-09-2020, 03:51 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    I am really happy this turned out better and wasn't cancer! Best wishes to you and Sawyer!
  • 10-09-2020, 04:06 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    for some reason I can't open the link you sent.

Would love to read about it.

Was supposed to be a quote, not a link. I fixed it. I am very glad to hear your boa is recovering.
  • 10-09-2020, 05:58 PM
    303_enfield
    Cut the feet/toes/nails off before you thaw. Your not the first an won't be the last to do it.

Glad he's better.

Good luck!