Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

0 members and 3,179 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Garter Snake

Printable View

• 06-08-2019, 06:38 PM
    tickyyy
    Garter Snake
    What size mouse should I feed an underweight garter snake? The snake is about 1 foot long and is about as skinny as my pinkie finger. It's skin is wrinkled and it doesn't really move, it feels and looks weak. I think it's a red-spotted garter snake if that helps.
  • 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM
    tickyyy
    I can take pictures later. I'm trying to nurse it back to health, I think it has mites too.
  • 06-08-2019, 06:50 PM
    Bogertophis
    This is a wild-caught snake? I'd try a pinkie mouse...but not sure he'll take f/t...they like moving prey. Actually, he sounds dehydrated & needs water more
    than food, in order to even digest. Likely to be heavily parasitized as well, if w/c. Before you feed him, is he drinking water?
  • 06-08-2019, 06:53 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Garter Snake
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    I can take pictures later. I'm trying to nurse it back to health, I think it has mites too.

Mites on a small snake can be deadly pretty fast. Bathe him in water w/ drop of Ivory/Dawn soap (not so deep that he's swimming) & STAY right there with him, don't let him drink any. Do that for about 20 minutes or so...actually, you might want to do this twice, first with plain water so he CAN drink, then with soap to drown as many mites as possible.
  • 06-08-2019, 06:54 PM
    tickyyy
    I haven't checked, I'm picking up a 28qt 28x18 tub and I have paper towels in a box right now. He has a water dish that's about 1 inch of water. I have a small hide, I'm picking up all the necessities later this week.
  • 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM
    Bogertophis
    Actually snake mites are not indigenous, so I'm assuming he's not a wild caught snake, unless he caught them while captive in someone's snake collection. :(

A snake that is so weak that "it doesn't really move" is probably on death's door...sorry to say. So whatever you're doing, if you hope to save him, had better
    be quick. And just because a snake has mites, does NOT mean that he doesn't ALSO have internal parasites. Saving this snake will take some meds, IMO.
  • 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM
    tickyyy
    I'll make sure to try my best to restore his health, I'll feed him next week after he's settled.
  • 06-08-2019, 07:27 PM
    tickyyy
    I'll make sure to give him that bath. Lukewarm water right?
  • 06-08-2019, 07:33 PM
    Bogertophis
    Cool water, remember you are 98.6* so if it feels warm to you, it's way too warm for him. Easy does it...preferably check the water temp.

Good luck with him, you'll need it, if he's in the condition you say.

And remember that a dehydrated snake cannot digest...water is more important, first, before feeding. Both mites & any internal parasites
    are dehydrating him quickly, since he is small. This is basically an emergency, if you hope to save him.
  • 06-08-2019, 10:02 PM
    tickyyy
    After drinking some water, he's more active, but still weak. Saw mites in his bath water. Poor thing :(
  • 06-08-2019, 10:24 PM
    Bogertophis
    I'd re-bathe him DAILY to remove mites (1st keep him hydrated, but then bathe him with a drop of dish-soap so as many mites drown as possible).

Done gently, bathing won't over-stress him, & should help. Otherwise dehydration (from mites or whatever) can kill him from shock, heart & other organ failure.

Keep him on white paper towels for now too, so the nasty little mites can't hide, & change the towels fairly often to remove mite eggs that keep hatching.

Good luck, sure hope he makes it. Garter snakes eat a variety of things, btw: small mammals, insects, fish, earthworms, leeches, eggs, amphibians, reptiles.

• 06-09-2019, 02:41 PM
    tickyyy
    He's doing much better, still wrinkly. I am going to bathe him twice; once for hydration and once for mites. He doesn't move much, I think that's due to stress/being malnourished. I'm calling him Dennis for now. I don't wanna mess with him too much tho. I'm gonna try and feed him some fish (without thiaminase, I have salmon). Should I feed him something different? How much fish? (I'm feeding later this week)
  • 06-09-2019, 02:42 PM
    tickyyy
    ALSO he makes a clicking noise occasionally when he breathes, and I don't think he's in shed.
  • 06-09-2019, 02:48 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickyyy View Post
    ALSO he makes a clicking noise occasionally when he breathes, and I don't think he's in shed.

I hope he'll eat a little fish for you. You probably know that the "clicking" sound is a likely RI.
  • 06-09-2019, 05:12 PM
    tickyyy
    I took some pictures (sorry for gross nails I'm painting them later). You can see the folded skin.

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/save1.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/save3.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/save6.jpg

Here is a cool shot IMO

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/save5.jpg

That cute lil tongue :P

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/save2.jpg

I legit have baby hands ugh
  • 06-09-2019, 05:16 PM
    Bogertophis
    He's cute, I sure hope he eats & that you get rid of his mites & other issues ok.
  • 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM
    paulh
    Pretty snake! Unfortunately I see hunger folds on his hind body. (See picture 1, the lengthwise folds on his sides where his body is in between the ring and little fingers.) Hunger folds are a sign of prolonged starvation. He can pull through, but it is more difficult than if hunger folds have not developed. Personally, I'd start him on smallish earthworms, if you can collect them where pesticides/herbicides have not been applied. Earthworms (NOT compost worms/red wigglers) contain a lot of moisture and are easy to digest.

If you haven't seen it, here is a link to a good garter care sheet: http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet

Good luck.
  • 06-10-2019, 09:25 PM
    tickyyy
    Unfortunately Dennis has died. I came home from school to find him lifeless. Ig the mites, dehydration/starvation and RI got to him. I was too late. RIP 😢
  • 06-10-2019, 09:33 PM
    Bodie
    Sorry to hear the garter pasted. Props to you for trying to save him!!!!
  • 06-10-2019, 09:35 PM
    Bogertophis
    Sorry to hear...too little, too late...Rest in Peace, Dennis.
  • 06-11-2019, 09:40 AM
    rottn
    We found a garter in our home 2 winters ago. We caught him around February - so spring was just around the corner. I knew nothing about snakes at that time, other than they fascinated me. Found a large, very high box that we put him in until we could release him. I bought a pinky - he wanted nothing to do with it. Did some research, and found out garters eat minnows, frogs, and night crawlers. Bought some minnows, and put them in a small tank in the enclosure. The garter actually went into the tank with the fish (had a separate water dish), but never ate the minnows. I went and bought a dozen earthworms (aka night crawlers) and the garter loved those! Gobbled them up pretty quickly. Feeding just worms is not a balanced diet for a garter apparently, but since he was just a guest for a couple of months, I was just glad he was eating something! He was released that same spring, and I swear I see him outside on our back patio, in our back garden. Might not be him, but... (we have lots of snakes on our property).
    Try some earthworms. Worked for us. Hope this helps! Good luck with the little guy.
  • 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM
    rottn
    Rip :(
    I'm sorry, I answered with my last post without realizing there was a whole 2nd page of responses. So I didn't see that he had passed. I'm so sorry to hear that. R.I.P. Dennis. :(