Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

3 members and 3,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 02-19-2020, 01:45 PM
    FollowTheSun
    Snakes in pillowcases keep being dropped off at fire station
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/uk/sn...-gbr-scli-intl

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
  • 02-19-2020, 02:10 PM
    Lord Sorril
    Re: Snakes in pillowcases keep being dropped off at fire station
    Tell this person to come to the States and drop them off at my house instead.
  • 02-19-2020, 02:43 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    It's really unfortunate, now I understand things in life happen however that's just lazy, there is a proper way to rehome animals instead of abandoning them at a fire house sadly it's common from dogs to cats to snakes left on the front steps of pet stores, vets etc
  • 02-19-2020, 02:57 PM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It's really unfortunate, now I understand things in life happen however that's just lazy, there is a proper way to rehome animals instead of abandoning them at a fire house sadly it's common from dogs to cats to snakes left on the front steps of pet stores, vets etc

I’ve seen this story in our local papers.. the snake community are livid !!

Why leave them OUTSIDE a fire station .. the temps drop to near freezing overnight at the moment and it’s really cold up where these are being dropped off.
    It was 2 above freezing here in Manchester the other morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 02-19-2020, 03:25 PM
    bcr229
    IIRC there were laws passed recently in the UK that make keeping snakes much more difficult/onerous for the owner, with the predictable result that the rescues and UK RSPCA are overwhelmed so the snakes are being abandoned in other ways. Sadly a lot end up euthanized due to lack of space, no different than municipal shelters here in the US.
  • 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM
    Absololol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    IIRC there were laws passed recently in the UK that make keeping snakes much more difficult/onerous for the owner, with the predictable result that the rescues and UK RSPCA are overwhelmed so the snakes are being abandoned in other ways. Sadly a lot end up euthanized due to lack of space, no different than municipal shelters here in the US.

I have no idea about that, buying snakes is incredibly easy here. You can take one straight from a pet store with no checks.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  • 02-20-2020, 04:56 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Absololol View Post
    I have no idea about that, buying snakes is incredibly easy here. You can take one straight from a pet store with no checks.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I saw a bit on Facebook last year, mainly in the large constrictor groups, since it affected people who kept/bred the larger pythons for commercial sale the most.

Unfortunately there will always be people who dump unwanted animals, be they reptiles, mammals, birds, etc.
  • 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I saw a bit on Facebook last year, mainly in the large constrictor groups, since it affected people who kept/bred the larger pythons for commercial sale the most.

Unfortunately there will always be people who dump unwanted animals, be they reptiles, mammals, birds, etc.

Maybe some unfortunate rumors were flying around that all pet snakes were a legal problem? Let's face it, snake haters LOVE to spread rumor-manure like that. ;)