Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,894

4 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,544
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks

Scrapes from Decor?

Printable View

• 09-04-2021, 01:18 PM
    SpookyLighthouse
    Scrapes from Decor?
    So Miss Cinder is by far my best eater and the most active snake that I have, but when I took her out today I saw that she had some kind of crease up the middle of her belly. Not a real “line” just something that looked very similar to a snake “belly button”. There seemed to be a deeper crease with a little nick in the scales closer to her vent. I checked her temps/humidity and made sure that her heat mat was working correctly, but the only thing I could think of would be her decor? This girl climbs all over this fake tree hide in her enclosure. Could that be it? Doesn’t really look like a burn or scale rot. No discoloration or anything, just a crease in the scales.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0600acab95.jpg
  • 09-04-2021, 02:34 PM
    KMG
    Looks natural to me. Some snakes have them, some don't. Come be an upcoming shed. But some snakes just seem to have a crease like that.
  • 09-04-2021, 03:28 PM
    DatBoiAJ_
    my girl got a crease that ended at her vent before she was shedding. Probably just that.
  • 09-04-2021, 04:32 PM
    KMG
    In young snakes it can be their "belly button" where the umbilical cord was attached.
  • 09-04-2021, 05:22 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Scrapes from Decor?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    In young snakes it can be their "belly button" where the umbilical cord was attached.

Yes, this ^ ^ ^. Then in some snakes, the crease continues & enlarges, whereas for many other snakes, it disappears. It's harmless, & not a "scrape from decor" anyway. Not to worry.
  • 09-04-2021, 05:54 PM
    SpookyLighthouse
    Yeah I’ve never seen it this large! On all of my other snakes it’s pretty much invisible unless you’re looking.
  • 09-04-2021, 05:57 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookyLighthouse View Post
    Yeah I’ve never seen it this large! On all of my other snakes it’s pretty much invisible unless you’re looking.

Well I have. I've seen a huge (deeper) inverted crease on some larger (heavier bodied) snakes, one that went all their entire length. At the time, I suspected it meant they'd spent some time in a dehydrated condition, from which their scutes never filled back out from, but I'm not sure.