Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,434

1 members and 3,433 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM
    blackcrystal22
    Re: POLL: Have you been bit by a BP?
    No, neither of my snakes have bitten me.

I've only been bitten once by my first corn snake (that died in the vets office) and that was cause he was sick and stressed. :[

The first day I had my ball he bit at a few things but never at me really.
  • 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM
    tippmann
    never been acutally bitten by my either of my 2 balls, but when i was handling my friends 4 foot long burm it bit me 3 times
  • 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
    Schlyne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    The other adult comes out of her box at feeding time and goes for my face...she got my arm.

I had this happen with my adult male normal.I think it was a normal feeding night, but I was cleaning cages and planning on feeding everybody the next day. I eventually got tagged after he missed my face and I was in the middle of weighing everybody. If I'd left him alone after the first attempt, I wouldn't have been bit.

As for the first bite, it was a defensive bite from my ball normal as a baby. I went to move a bottlecap before he slithered over it and apparently my hand came in to fast at his head.

I think I've gotten tagged by other baby balls.

The more memorable bites were from a carpet python and a variable kingsnake. It's really funny when the snake that bites you is thinner than your pinky. :rofl: (And it doesn't hurt at all.)
  • 06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
    McAdry
    yes quite a few times but it hand been long enough to think somthing might have changed. lol
  • 06-25-2008, 01:23 AM
    Cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by captin_crash View Post
    I just got a ball yesterday (a friend left the country in a hurry, family issues) its only 2 months old and im a bit nervous about handling her, I've handled much bigger snakes than her but i knew they were "tame". Basically im asking how much does it hurt when you get tagged, how often it might happen and does anyone have any advice to help me get over this "fear"?

I can tell you the surprise is the worst part...that and having your confidence trashed. The bite of a 3 week old BP broke the skin in 4 places...teeth holes...bled...but the next morning could not tell at all what had happened.

Any ideas anyone has on how to work with these guys on being so head shy is VERY appreciated.

I think wearing gloves is the ticket for me for a while...

Can anyone comment on if they are a biter to start are they a biter forever and visa versa?
    Does tha fact that this guy was fed live make them more of a biter?
  • 06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
    Mike Schultz
    I got bitten by one of the "captive hatched" BP's at the petsmart i work at. :P
  • 06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
    blackcrystal22
    Is it bad that when my BP bit me it didn't bleed, hurt, or even leave a mark? D:

I mean, I was moving the thermostat probe and was kinda invading his hide (I was trying not to disturb him so I didn't take him out of it) and he kinda tried to bite at me.
    But there was no blood or anything. I'm confused..
  • 06-27-2008, 04:25 PM
    Koiscale451
    I've never been bit, but I know it's coming.... :wierdface
  • 06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
    Mike Schultz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Is it bad that when my BP bit me it didn't bleed, hurt, or even leave a mark? D:

I mean, I was moving the thermostat probe and was kinda invading his hide (I was trying not to disturb him so I didn't take him out of it) and he kinda tried to bite at me.

Sometimes they just give a warning "strike" without really biting you. The babies i worked with did that a lot.
  • 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
    Cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post

If he felt like he made contact perhaps he just had a closed mouth 'strike'.
    If you are concerned he has no teeth or something along that line...I would not be too concerned...if he's eating etc.