Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,305

3 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

General hognose care

Printable View

• 12-24-2018, 09:13 PM
    Alex Lehner
    General hognose care
    Hi all! I have been considering getting a hognose now for a little while, and have been researching about there care. As far as I have read, they require a more arid climate than bp's, correct? What humidity and heat levels do they require? And what type of substrate do they like? I heard they are diggers. I hope to pick one up sometime in March at a reptile expo in Minneapolis. I live in northern wi, so it seems like the best bet to procure one and gives me time to prepare a terrarium for one. Any advice would be appreciated! I also love planted tanks so if anyone has any plant suggestions to go in a hognose tank I'd love to hear them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • 12-24-2018, 11:06 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    You want 20% to 40% humidity max.

As far as tank 10 gallons for a male 20 for a female if you get an adult if not start very small 6 quarts which will last you between 1 to 2 years.

Ideal substrate aspen or dry coco husk.

Because your substrate need to be kept dry having a planted bioactive setup will be very difficult.
  • 12-26-2018, 06:55 AM
    Skittles1101
    I tried both aspen and cocofiber for my hoggie, and I felt more comfortable using the cocofiber so I'll be sticking with that. All of what Deborah said, and a hot spot of 90 and you should be good. My guy "swims" through his substrate quite a bit, they're definitely more diggers. I also think a bioactive would not be great for these guys. Mine is in a tub, but he basically has a hide and a water dish and he's eating very well.
  • 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM
    Alex Lehner
    Re: General hognose care
    Okay sounds good. Bioactive is not super important to me, just thought it would be cool. Thanks for the responses!

• 12-26-2018, 02:17 PM
    Alex Lehner
    For the cocofiber, you would dry it out before using it correct? I use it for my BP, and it is always very moist at first after you take it off the block.

• 12-26-2018, 02:40 PM
    RickyNY
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Lehner View Post
    For the cocofiber, you would dry it out before using it correct? I use it for my BP, and it is always very moist at first after you take it off the block.

The answer to this question is in post #2
  • 12-26-2018, 03:05 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Lehner View Post

Correct I prepare my batch and let it dry out when used with my hognose and sand boas, or you can buy this instead https://reptileprime.com/ but there is a lot more fiber and you are paying the convenience and the brand.

I use this https://www.midlandhardware.com/181075.html, it's very fine and promote their natural digging behavior and one brick will last you a long time.
  • 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM
    Alex Lehner
    Thank you very much.