Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,340

2 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 06-26-2011, 04:10 AM
    Shawnfireball
    How venomous are captive bred rattle snakes?
    Not that i want one, im just curious. are they equally as dangerous as wild ones?:confused:
  • 06-26-2011, 04:17 AM
    Eric Doane
    I would imagine they are just as dangerous. Captive and wild don't have different dna, just different homes.
  • 06-26-2011, 04:35 AM
    AK907
    Just as potent.

Just out of curiousity, why is this in the "general pythons" forum?
  • 06-26-2011, 05:54 AM
    FIEND_FO_LYFE
    Re: How venomous are captive bred rattle snakes?
    This made me LOL. Not to be a smartass or anything, but what on earth would change the toxicity of their venom?

This reminds me of a story when some people bred Venomoids, and died because the hatchlings were venomous... (they thought that the hatchlings were going to be venomoids too) lol

Ill go ahead and say, exactly the same.
  • 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
    Redneck_Crow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnfireball View Post
    Not that i want one, im just curious. are they equally as dangerous as wild ones?:confused:

No difference in venom.

If I had to choose, I'd rather be bitten by a wild one. I figure that I would stand a better chance with something that might have possibly had to learn to conserve it's venom to feed itself.
  • 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM
    mainbutter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FIEND_FO_LYFE View Post
    This made me LOL. Not to be a smartass or anything, but what on earth would change the toxicity of their venom?

Well, to be fair, there are some venomous/poisonous animals in captivity lack some part of their natural habitat (usually diet) that is essential to toxin production, so there are precedents for someone unfamiliar with venomous snakes to wonder about them.

Poison dart frogs come to mind.

But yes, venomous snakes do not require any particular diet or anything like that to produce their venom, they are every bit as dangerous as their wild counterparts.
  • 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM
    FIEND_FO_LYFE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Well, to be fair, there are some venomous/poisonous animals in captivity lack some part of their natural habitat (usually diet) that is essential to toxin production, so there are precedents for someone unfamiliar with venomous snakes to wonder about them.

Poison dart frogs come to mind.

But yes, venomous snakes do not require any particular diet or anything like that to produce their venom, they are every bit as dangerous as their wild counterparts.

That is true for poisonous, but not venomous. There has not been one case of a animal loosing the toxicity of their venom from being captive, or diet. (except the obvious venomoid and unnatural procedures.
  • 06-28-2011, 06:59 AM
    mommanessy247
    um...i would agree with everyone else.
    i've heard that juvenile's will envenomate indiscriminately because they havent yet learned how much is too much or when to give a dry bite vs. a bad one.
  • 06-29-2011, 02:51 AM
    nor_cal1980
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FIEND_FO_LYFE View Post

This reminds me of a story when some people bred Venomoids, and died because the hatchlings were venomous... (they thought that the hatchlings were going to be venomoids too) lol

Ill go ahead and say, exactly the same.

Is that a true story about the venomoid offspring? Some peoples kids :/
  • 06-29-2011, 04:42 AM
    deathadder1069
    Yes, poison dart frogs toxicity levels drop immensely from cb to wc due to diets, we feed them crix and flies where in the wild they eat centipedes and other toxic prey which raises their level of toxicity but as for snakes, sorry they stay venomous in wc and cb.