Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,502

1 members and 2,501 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 04-30-2020, 06:24 PM
    Ciaran_songs
    bigger than a beardie smaller than a monitor
    So I am looking for suggestions for lizards that are bigger than a beardie but maybe just not as big as a monitor and in a 50-60$ price range?
  • 04-30-2020, 06:29 PM
    Bogertophis
    Not sure what they cost but how about a skink?
  • 04-30-2020, 06:31 PM
    vivi
    Re: bigger than a beardie smaller than a monitor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    as big as a monitor

Monitors can vary in size, is there a size that is too big for you?
  • 04-30-2020, 06:35 PM
    Ciaran_songs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Monitors can vary in size, is there a size that is too big for you?

We looked into A Savannah monitor and really liked the idea of it but the only issue would be the cost to feed it so ideally something a bit smaller than a Savannah monitor.
  • 04-30-2020, 06:52 PM
    Bogertophis
    I think Savannahs also like to dig...housing is something to consider. Also, herbivore, omnivore or carnivore? What are you looking for?
  • 04-30-2020, 06:57 PM
    Ciaran_songs
    We are not really worried about enclosure because we have an extra empty room that we could put something in more so the amount it eats ideally we want something than can eat something with the insects kind of like a beardie but if they can only eat insects or meat that should be fine its mainly just the amount we can feed things like chicken and fish but bugs get a bit expensive once you get to the bigger bugs like hissing roaches we would love something like an Argentine Tegu but they are just too expensive and iguana's are not really our thing as they are very difficult to bond with.
  • 04-30-2020, 07:08 PM
    wnateg
    It's pretty cheap if you breed the roaches. I have more roaches than you've ever seen in your life that started with a colony of about $100.
  • 04-30-2020, 07:09 PM
    Ciaran_songs
    Is breeding easy? do you have any more info that I could take a look at I may consider getting one if food price is not an issue but I have no idea if I can breed bugs or how hard it is haha.
  • 04-30-2020, 07:12 PM
    Bogertophis
    I can't speak for breeding roaches, but mealworms are EASY to "ranch"... you're doing the right kind of "homework".
  • 04-30-2020, 07:15 PM
    wnateg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    Is breeding easy? do you have any more info that I could take a look at I may consider getting one if food price is not an issue but I have no idea if I can breed bugs or how hard it is haha.

It's the easiest thing you've ever done. Set and forget, just feed every couple days.

https://roachrancher.com/blogs/guide...hes-care-sheet