Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

1 members and 2,951 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 09-18-2019, 11:14 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Article: Face to face with a green anaconda
    Not the greatest or most informative article, but I thought it was worth a share.

https://www.thedodo.com/amphtml/in-t...green-anaconda
  • 09-18-2019, 11:33 AM
    Bogertophis
    Dang it, the pool is closed for the season now & you're making me miss my laps!!! :taz:

Nice video but not a swim I'd want to take...they were lucky she was curious ("playful") & not hungry. Great seeing such a serpent in her own world though...
    thanks for sharing!
  • 09-18-2019, 03:32 PM
    Reinz
    Cool story. I enjoyed that video.

I never really thought about a snake using it’s tongue underwater. That shows just how amazing their tongues and Jacobson’s organ is. For such a primitive animal that seems like a pretty advanced sensory system.
  • 09-18-2019, 04:22 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: Article: Face to face with a green anaconda
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Cool story. I enjoyed that video.

I never really thought about a snake using it’s tongue underwater. That shows just how amazing their tongues and Jacobson’s organ is. For such a primitive animal that seems like a pretty advanced sensory system.

You know, I thought that looked strange too. So it obviously works either way, in air or in water....how cool is that?
  • 09-18-2019, 05:02 PM
    Gocntry
    Cool Video.... Awesome Snake,

just out of curiosity, you can see when the humans breathe, obviously the snake isn't

how long can a big snake like that hold it's breath and not breathe while underwater?
  • 09-18-2019, 05:09 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Cool Video.... Awesome Snake,

just out of curiosity, you can see when the humans breathe, obviously the snake isn't

how long can a big snake like that hold it's breath and not breathe while underwater?

Well, according to Google: (I'll have to take their word for it)
    10 minutes

Anacondas are the world's largest snakes and they can hold their breath up to 10 minutes underwater, according to Cobras.org.Dec 21, 2016
  • 09-18-2019, 06:01 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Dang it, the pool is closed for the season now & you're making me miss my laps!!! :taz:

Nice video but not a swim I'd want to take...

I've been thinking about this....
    ...and I think I'd do it....IF there were properly trained people in place to save my butt if it came to it. But the animal couldn't be harmed. I can't justify harming an snake for being a snake, especially since I'm on it's turf.
  • 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I've been thinking about this....
    ...and I think I'd do it....IF there were properly trained people in place to save my butt if it came to it. But the animal couldn't be harmed. I can't justify harming an snake for being a snake, especially since I'm on it's turf.

That puts rescuers in a bad spot, I'm afraid. If a snake like that tried to constrict you underwater, they'd have few options for helping you, & I'm betting the snake would
    be the loser, as in nearly all conflicts with humans. So for the sake of the snakes, I'm guessing we won't be watching your video any time soon? ;) Just as well, IMO.
  • 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That puts rescuers in a bad spot, I'm afraid. If a snake like that tried to constrict you underwater, they'd have few options for helping you, & I'm betting the snake would
    be the loser, as in nearly all conflicts with humans. So for the sake of the snakes, I'm guessing we won't be watching your video any time soon? ;) Just as well, IMO.

Nope, i don't foresee a way they could guarantee the animal wouldn't be hurt, so no need to hold your breath waiting for the video :rofl:
  • 09-23-2019, 08:04 PM
    o.r hill
    This video is a great rebuttal to the stupid "eaten by an anaconda" program.