Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

DIY: Crested Gecko Tubs

Printable View

• 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
    Kaorte
    Re: DIY: Crested Gecko Tubs
    15-5/8" x 13-1/8" x 13-1/4" h

The container store will ship also. I think they will ship sets of 6 of these. They are called "Deep sweater boxes".
  • 04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
    pavlovk1025
    Would a sterilite 73 qt, 23 x 16 x 15 work to house 2 adult females?
  • 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
    Kaorte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    Would a sterilite 73 qt, 23 x 16 x 15 work to house 2 adult females?

That would probably be fine. I know people that use those big 20gal storage bins for breeding trios. Some people turn them on their ends so they are vertical but I feel like that would fall over easily.

I plan on eventually doing a larger tub for breeding pairs or female groups.

This one: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...uctId=10003254
  • 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
    pavlovk1025
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    That would probably be fine. I know people that use those big 20gal storage bins for breeding trios. Some people turn them on their ends so they are vertical but I feel like that would fall over easily.

I plan on eventually doing a larger tub for breeding pairs or female groups.

This one: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...uctId=10003254

Hmm. I just want whatever will allow them to live comfortably. Unfortunately 16 inches is about as tall of a plastic container that I can get, and I like the way it looks better than the 20g on its side.
  • 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
    Kaorte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    Hmm. I just want whatever will allow them to live comfortably. Unfortunately 16 inches is about as tall of a plastic container that I can get, and I like the way it looks better than the 20g on its side.

I agree. While vertical climbing space is generally best, as long as they have 15" or so of vertical height they should be fine.
  • 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
    pavlovk1025
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I agree. While vertical climbing space is generally best, as long as they have 15" or so of vertical height they should be fine.

Kewl thanks for all your help.
  • 04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
    mlededee
    I went ahead and sticked this thread (should have actually done it sooner!). Excellent DIY info that I've already referenced several times myself in other threads--good stuff. :gj:
  • 04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
    Kaorte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    I went ahead and sticked this thread (should have actually done it sooner!). Excellent DIY info that I've already referenced several times myself in other threads--good stuff. :gj:

Wooo! Exciting!!!! :D :D

My very first sticky!
  • 04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
    waltah!
    Strong work, Steffe!
  • 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
    Bones
    I just wanted to add a few things to this thread as suggestions/alternatives for other people who will be following this awesome tutorial.

1) I made two of these tubs and for the life of me, I could NOT cut through that thick plastic with a scorer, an Exacto knife or even a razor box cutter. I ended up having to use a soldering gun to melt through the plastic. That plastic was a lot thicker than I thought it would be! I'd actually recommend skipping the scorer and just using a soldering gun because it was definitely easier and faster.

2) Instead of using hot glue, I used RV silicone to adhere the screen to the tub. I chose this method because I didn't want to risk burning myself with the glue, haha! To make sure the screen was taut, I siliconed the bottom of the screen first and let it dry, and then I did the sides and the top. It's held up great so far.