Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

0 members and 3,208 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 10-08-2021, 03:41 PM
    TheSandlapper
    For those of you who use Coco Fiber, how exactly do you thoroughly clean enclosures?
    It’s like dirt, do you scoop it out and then vacuum around the corners? I previously used cypress mulch but have moved some where that it’s much more expensive to buy. I tried paper towels and news papers but I just don’t like using them as much because when my snakes tip there water it just soaks everything so I went with the coco fiber. Advice?
  • 10-08-2021, 05:30 PM
    Armiyana
    I use a shopvac for my large glass tank. If there's a lot of wet clumps sometimes I will scoop it out first with a small dustpan. But if it's mostly dry I just vaccuum it out. My tubs are easy enough to just dump most times.
  • 10-08-2021, 05:34 PM
    Charles8088
    Re: For those of you who use Coco Fiber, how exactly do you thoroughly clean enclosur
    I spot clean when necessary. If it's generally dry poop or urites, I just use my hand and then clean my hands afterward. Before putting my hand in, I use hand sanitizer which I keep next to my enclosures (though probably not necessary).

Of it's a messy or wet cleanup, I might put on gloves but I use paper towels to clean up, and discard and substrate that's affected. I'm not stingy on the substrate, so sometimes I get rid of a little more than necessary. After cleanup, if it left any stains I would just spray some water and cleans best I can with a paper towel.

Once a month I do a deeper clean... where I dump out all the substrate, clean the inside of the enclosure using F10 (properly diluted), anything inside, and then put fresh substrate in there.

I do it once a month, though lately I've done it every few months die to my own free time. I don't think it's necessary to do it once a month, but that's what I do.

Of note... if I have any open cuts or wounds on my hands, I usually use gloves. I've heard horror stories with bacteria of people sticking open wounded hands into fish tanks and reptile a closures, so I just try to be on the safe side. I have no direct knowledge of this, bit it's just my way of trying be safe.
  • 10-08-2021, 05:35 PM
    Charles8088
    Re: For those of you who use Coco Fiber, how exactly do you thoroughly clean enclosur
    Forgot to add... I do have a hand vac dedicated to the snake enclosures, that I use when doing the deep clean.