Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

2 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Breeding Cages

Printable View

• 02-07-2018, 11:48 AM
    BallPythonWannaBe
    Breeding Cages
    Hey guys! I was wondering if these cages are okay for breeding mice or if DIY bin cages are better?
    https://www.lllreptile.com/products/...-breeding-cage
  • 02-07-2018, 12:23 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Honestly a rack with multiple tubs for breeding group, holdback/growout is better and simpler when it comes to cleaning, opening, pulling feeders in an out etc and you definitely want a watering system too because bottle gets old real quick.
  • 02-07-2018, 05:27 PM
    cchardwick
    I actually wished I would have started with the small cages like that instead of glass aquariums. The problem with food bowls is that the food gets dirty real quick. With overhead feeding you don't have to worry about it, you just top off the food and water every few days, no wasted food. And with glass aquariums I had problems with the mice chewing holes in the water bottles, won't have a problem with this setup. I'd say it's the perfect way to try out breeding rodents before going all out with a rack system to see if you like it. I'd probably get several cages, one per adult mouse. If you start with one male and two females you would want to rotate the females in and out with the male, you may need a couple more for growouts too depending on how big you want the babies. I'd say at least three cages to start. A rack system is better but a lot more expensive and you want to make sure you don't use cheap tubs or the rodents will chew through them and run all over your house LOL.
  • 02-07-2018, 08:59 PM
    John1982
    Re: Breeding Cages
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Hey guys! I was wondering if these cages are okay for breeding mice or if DIY bin cages are better?
    https://www.lllreptile.com/products/...-breeding-cage

They work fine. I only keep a few colonies of mice these days and I use this style of caging. If you're looking for larger scale production, I'd go with a rack as Deborah suggested.