Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,617

0 members and 2,617 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Tiny folds in skin?

Printable View

• 02-22-2020, 10:24 PM
    mkspain
    Tiny folds in skin?
    Hello!

so recently my ball python has had these tiny little folds in his skin. They don’t stretch across his whole body, maybe 1 cm in length. I’ve also checked and there’s no sign on mites. The little folds are just where his skin folded upwards. I can push them down and they’ll disappear. Is this something that’s normal or do I need to get him checked out by a vet?
  • 02-23-2020, 12:50 AM
    Bogertophis
    Just one post would be plenty...you might have to wait for a response as none of us "live on here", lol....

A picture would help a lot to see what you mean, but it sounds like he might be dehydrated? What's his cage temps & humidity at? Can we assume he always has water
    to drink in his enclosure?
  • 02-23-2020, 01:22 AM
    wnateg
    Re: Tiny folds in skin?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just one post would be plenty...you might have to wait for a response as none of us "live on here", lol....

Speak for yourself. Too bad I don't know anything.
  • 02-23-2020, 05:13 AM
    Zincubus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

A picture would help a lot to see what you mean, but it sounds like he might be dehydrated? What's his cage temps & humidity at? Can we assume he always has water
    to drink in his enclosure?

This ..
    Sounds like dehydration to me as well

A 30 minute soak could work absolute wonders and won’t do any harm .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 02-23-2020, 12:33 PM
    Bogertophis
    Or mist him in his cage periodically to keep the humidity up for a while & see if it improves. I'd also recommend adding a "humid hide", one with saturated sphagnum
    moss in it (& use a large enough & new plastic food container with a snap off top- cut a 'doorway' in the top- you don't want a regular hide that's open on the bottom,
    so as to contain all that extra moisture from the regular substrate). Many kinds of snakes enjoy having a humid hide, once you show them the door-way, the damp
    aroma of moss seems to entice them right in & they'll feel snug inside while having a "spa day". ;)
  • 02-23-2020, 12:46 PM
    Zincubus
    As above .. although whilst that helps generally speaking or may need a soak if it is really dehydrated ..

Dehydration can be fatal in some cases of course

We really need some photos and quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 02-23-2020, 06:08 PM
    mkspain
    Hi! First, I accidentally posted it two times lmao. Meant to do it once.

Second, his humidity stays between 40-80. Never above, never below (except shed it may be a little higher) I use a regular misting machine to spray him. Normally, the first 5-20 mins after it sprays, the humidity is at 75-80. My mister sprays every 3 hours for 30 seconds. Towards the end of the 3 hours, it’s at 40-45. However, for the large middle portion of time (1-2 hours) it’s at 55-65 percent humidity. I live somewhere where the weather can literally go from 33 degrees to 80 degrees in one day so the natural humidity in my house is never stable.

Also, when I look at pics of dehydrated snakes, I see a lot of wrinkles that stretch down the whole side of the snake. These little wrinkles are at the very top of his back and are usually less then a centimeter long. There’s only two as well usually. Like I said in my post, no mites or anything on him. Also, he has a water bowl that is big enough for him to soak in and always has water readily available.

Also, I’ll get pics as soon as they appear again.

i hope this information helps! This is my first bp so I’m still getting used to it! :)