Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

4 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 11-06-2007, 10:11 PM
    LadyCrow
    Re: Feeder Euthanasia the Easy Way, and Humane too...
    Very interesting information!

I had a slight problem w/one of the mice I fed my snake last week (scratched Severus's right eye, but not badly), and I'm considering some humane euthanasia for future mice. Keep in mind that I never let a mouse loose in his tank; I always use my trusty foot-long tweezers to hold the mouse by the tail until it is snatched by His Lordship. ;)

My brother used to have a bp back in the day, and he was told by the vet where he'd purchased his snake to "stun" the mouse before feeding it to the snake (ie, "whacking" it against the tank). Needless to say, this does not really appeal to me. What kind of methods would work best for mice?

Please excuse me if this topic has already been covered...
  • 11-24-2007, 07:34 PM
    AjBalls
    Anyone know how fast this would work on rabbits? Generally 3lb+...
  • 01-26-2008, 01:05 AM
    caz223
    If you're going to feed mice instead of harmless baby rats I'd recommend a heavy stun, and only if the snake needs to hear the heart beating to eat it.....
    On occasions where I need to feed stunned mice, I put them on a stool, hold their tail to stop them from wandering too much, and 'thump' them right behind the head with my finger. You can prolly use a spoon or something like that, I've never tried it that way, though.
    It may take a few tries until you get good at it. Once they are stunned, I check how stunned they are by quickly blowing a puff of air into their eyes. If that snaps them out of it, stun them again.
    Beware, they usually void their bladders when stunned.....
    I much prefer feeding frozen/thawed.
  • 01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
    elevatethis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RKO View Post
    Anyone know how fast this would work on rabbits? Generally 3lb+...

The AVMA only recommends this method for rodents and rabbits under 7 lbs. in weight, if I remember right. You might want to go check into that....
  • 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
    elevatethis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by caz223 View Post
    If you're going to feed mice instead of harmless baby rats I'd recommend a heavy stun, and only if the snake needs to hear the heart beating to eat it.....
    On occasions where I need to feed stunned mice, I put them on a stool, hold their tail to stop them from wandering too much, and 'thump' them right behind the head with my finger. You can prolly use a spoon or something like that, I've never tried it that way, though.
    It may take a few tries until you get good at it. Once they are stunned, I check how stunned they are by quickly blowing a puff of air into their eyes. If that snaps them out of it, stun them again.
    Beware, they usually void their bladders when stunned.....
    I much prefer feeding frozen/thawed.

How does this post have anything to do with humane treatment of prey items?
  • 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
    lillyorchid
    I agree Brad.

Caz... please be aware also when you do stun the mouse that in return is going to be one mad mouse. I'd rather feed a completly live mouse to make snake then a stunned one since putting a mad and hurt stunned mouse in my snakes cage is just calling for an accident. It can attack the snake or yourself if that mouse desides to take it out on something.
  • 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    Tried this with two mice that I wanted to put down but didn't want to do it inhumanely. Worked great! Thanks for the write up.
  • 01-31-2008, 07:38 PM
    Brimstone111888
    Is dry ice readily available at any grocery store? What section would it be in? Never seen dry ice in all my grocery shopping adventures.:confused:
  • 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
    Jay_Bunny
    I went to Kroger to get my dry ice and thats the only grocery store I've seen it offered at. I was actually carded for it too. They make sure you are at least 18 years old. I still have some left over but its slowly sublimating away from sitting outside. I'm hoping it will last till I can get my fiance home from work so we can play with it (putting it in water so it fogs)
  • 01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
    Brimstone111888
    I guess ill have to call around. Never heard of Kroger lol.