Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,041

1 members and 2,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Clean small mammals ?

Printable View

• 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Clean small mammals ?
    What are some small mammals that, in general, don't poop a lot like hamsters or rats do, or won't constantly poop when handling? (I understand that accidents happen. Even BP's taught me that) I'm open to anything no bigger than a ferret, and no hedgehogs because I'm not interested in them. Anything that can be litter trained?
  • 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM
    4theSNAKElady
    Re: Clean small mammals ?
    Chinchillas? Sugar glider?

sent from my incubator
  • 12-03-2013, 07:10 PM
    jclaiborne
    Don't know about trainability but small mammals I can think of are guinea pig, chinchilla, some smaller rabbits...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  • 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM
    satomi325
    Chinchillas are really clean animals. They have no odor. HOWEVER, they poo up storms! They cannot control their bowel movements, so they are constantly crapping every few minutes. They are clean, but messy animals.

If you want a litter trained animal, I would go with rabbit or ferret. Although rats can be litter trained too. My first generation of breeder girls retired as pets and took to caged life with a litter box immediately after living in a rack their entire lives. And rats only poo on you if they're stressed. If they feel comfortable, they don't really poo during handling.

But as the 'ferret person' of the forum, I'll always suggest a ferret. But make sure you know what you're getting into. They're not cheap to maintain and are prone to many health issues.
  • 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM
    anatess
    A yorkie. :)
  • 12-03-2013, 07:59 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    A yorkie. :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bP6k59dMHB...ps9177ab07.png

- - -
    I don't care so much for litter training as I do just having an animal drop two turds for every breath, which is why, although I like them, I have to cross chinchillas off. I'm also not into rats since they have a such a short life span. How do degus, short tailed opossums, or sugar gliders compare? (I've been eye-ballin' sugar gliders for a while.) No guinea pigs or rabbits, please.
  • 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM
    I-KandyReptiles
    Clean small mammals ?
    My hamster doesn't poo on me haha
  • 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    My hamster doesn't poo on me haha

I used to be into keeping these. Instead of leaving droppings on me, they left bloody, painful bite marks, regardless of my attempts to tame them. It got traumatizing to where I'm nervous when dealing with small rodents and that's why I can't hold my BP's feeder rats. (I've managed to bond with one or two feeder rats/mice though after my BPs would refuse to eat so I'd adopt them out.)
  • 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM
    anatess
  • 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM
    Bluebonnet Herp