Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

0 members and 3,246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 11-18-2017, 09:27 PM
    bcr229
    Selling at Non-Herp Shows/Expos
    Has anyone ever tried vending at expos that are not reptile/herp related?

I'm asking b/c I had four customers call me today all excited to tell me they were at a gun show and someone was selling snakes.

It seemed odd to me to try to vend somewhere like that since it would be an impulse buy for attendees and most wouldn't have a setup or rack up and running at home.
  • 11-19-2017, 12:38 AM
    cchardwick
    Seems like it would be an odd mix, not sure how many you would sell. I think it would be better to sell at reptile shows. If you are willing to travel nation wide there's a show somewhere every weekend.
  • 11-19-2017, 02:51 AM
    Sauzo
    Lol, buy a gun and get a free retic with the purchase!! :P
  • 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM
    Albert Clark
    Re: Selling at Non-Herp Shows/Expos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried vending at expos that are not reptile/herp related?

I'm asking b/c I had four customers call me today all excited to tell me they were at a gun show and someone was selling snakes.

It seemed odd to me to try to vend somewhere like that since it would be an impulse buy for attendees and most wouldn't have a setup or rack up and running at home.

Strange, bc the requirements and certifications for both are very different locally and statewide. I would think it was a friend of one of the gun show's sponsors or maybe even the show organizer himself. In any case, it had to be someone affiliated with either directly or indirectly with the gun show IMO. As you probably already know or given it some thought.
  • 11-19-2017, 11:06 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Strange, bc the requirements and certifications for both are very different locally and statewide. I would think it was a friend of one of the gun show's sponsors or maybe even the show organizer himself. In any case, it had to be someone affiliated with either directly or indirectly with the gun show IMO. As you probably already know or given it some thought.

Actually the firearm industry is in the toilet right now; it had 16 years of "banic buying" driving demand under the prior two administrations and that has dried up. This show used to have a waiting list for tables, all vendors either needed an FFL or you had to be selling something firearm-related (ammo, accessories, collectible militaria, etc), and you could barely elbow your way through the crowds. Now half of the vendors are non-licensees hawking everything from beanie babies to jewelry to ball pythons, and attendance is down to about a quarter of it was. So, anyone willing to pay for a table gets one.
  • 11-19-2017, 01:56 PM
    Albert Clark
    I personally never had the inkling to attend a gun show nor own any firearms. It sounds like the quality control and extreme screening needs to be put in place. I've vended at several reptile expos and never seen anyone peddling firearms.
  • 11-20-2017, 08:11 AM
    Gryffyd
    One of our local reptile shops had a table at the recent tattoo expo, although I think it was more for exposure/information than to really sell their products. I have no idea if they sold anything as I didn't go myself, but I'd assume having something different would be a bit of welcome relief as you're wandering through tattoo booth after tattoo booth.
  • 11-20-2017, 09:10 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I've vended at several reptile expos and never seen anyone peddling firearms.

That activity would be prohibited under federal law. As far as I know there's no federal law that states "Thou shalt only sell snakes at your premises or at a bona-fide herp expo."

For an event like a gun show I could see getting a spot and bringing a few big placid burms so people can pay for a picture of themselves holding one. It would be safer for your critters since you don't have to worry about picking up mites from some other vendor.