Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,402

2 members and 2,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

My First Snake!

Printable View

• 10-18-2019, 09:14 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Re: My First Snake!
    Congratulations on your new critter. I agree that kings are very cool snakes and the speckled ones are one of my favorites. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your girl.
  • 10-18-2019, 09:19 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    Second feeding was another success, this time she took from the tongs! I think it helped that this time she was already in a hide before the lid came off.

Awesome!!! She seems to be settling in nicely for you!!

And you're definitely onto something with her being in her hide. She felt more secure, so more confident. You're absolutely right!!!
    Keep up the great work!!!!!
  • 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Congratulations on your new critter. I agree that kings are very cool snakes and the speckled ones are one of my favorites. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your girl.

You're gonna get another King one day....I just know it. You have too much love for them to stay away!!! Hahhahahahaa!!!!
  • 10-18-2019, 09:28 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    You're gonna get another King one day....I just know it. You have too much love for them to stay away!!! Hahhahahahaa!!!!

And if you don't already know this, we are totally-evil "enablers" here! :D
  • 10-18-2019, 09:42 PM
    NewmanLovesSnakes
    Quote:

I picked up my first snake yesterday at the Manchester expo. She is a 2019 speckled kingsnake. I was originally planning on getting a Baird's rat snake, but things didn't work out with the breeder, so I ended up going with one of the other species I had wanted and researched. Even though she isn't what I was planning on she's still the best little snake and I'm really happy with her.
    She seems to be settling in well. When I first put her in her tank yesterday she spent her first few hours exploring and from what I've seen (and haven't seen) of her today she seems content to spend most of her time in her hides, occasionally poking her head out (so cute!) and moving between them.
    It's so nice to finally have my own snake, and every time I catch a glimpse of her in her tank it makes my heart happy :D

Speckled king snakes are by far my favorite native snake. I’ve caught two in my back yard and stepped on one this year. I just move them to the patch of woods across the street lol you did a fine job picking a first snake in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-18-2019, 10:04 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Quote:

I definitely love them! I often regret rehoming my pair. They were the snakes that got me back into the hobby in 2012. They're really high on my wish list right now too. I've been looking at this empty 40g lately and I know a king would perfectly. I'd never have to upgrade enclosures, and the most they'll ever eat is a jumbo rmouse or a small rat, so they're not at all expensive to keep. They're ferocious little beasties too.
  • 10-19-2019, 01:13 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

I definitely love them! I often regret rehoming my pair. They were the snakes that got me back into the hobby in 2012. They're really high on my wish list right now too. I've been looking at this empty 40g lately and I know a king would perfectly. I'd never have to upgrade enclosures, and the most they'll ever eat is a jumbo rmouse or a small rat, so they're not at all expensive to keep. They're ferocious little beasties too.

Hehehehe, i knew it!!!!
    ...and a case of empty enclosure syndrome!!! Hahaha :rofl:
  • 10-19-2019, 06:46 PM
    aurum
    Quote:

Thank you! I’m also a big fan of the speckleds, they’re plenty cute as babies and their pattern gets even prettier as adults.
    I actually managed to get one picture of her in her tank that doesnt have awful lighting and reflections, so I’ll try and get that posted :)
  • 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM
    aurum
    Quote:

Awesome!!! She seems to be settling in nicely for you!!

And you're definitely onto something with her being in her hide. She felt more secure, so more confident. You're absolutely right!!!
    Keep up the great work!!!!!

It was awesome to see her take from the tongs on only the second feeding! I thought she would have taken at least a couple more weeks, but nope! she came flying right out of her hide, very eager to get that mouse haha
  • 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

It was awesome to see her take from the tongs on only the second feeding! I thought she would have taken at least a couple more weeks, but nope! she came flying right out of her hide, very eager to get that mouse haha

Colubrids in general, whether kings or rat snakes, are much easier to feed than BPs...:D Plus they don't need such fussy temperatures & humidity to thrive. Great choice!