Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

1 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Breeding Gerbils..

Printable View

• 06-01-2004, 05:42 PM
    gozetec02
    I was wondering. How hard would it be to breed these?

How big do the adults get and would an adult ball python be able to eat an adult Gerbil?
  • 06-01-2004, 11:05 PM
    BigKenjDogg
    I'm no expert on this subject, but I'll tell ya what I know. Like most other rodents, gerbils are not hard to breed. Put a female and a male in the same enclosure and well, to quote Jurassic Park, "Life will find a way." However, the problem with breeding gerbils is that they do not have large litters. Also, I'm under the impression that an adult gerbil is not a large enough meal for an adult ball python. However, don't quote me because I could be wrong. Hope this helps.
  • 06-01-2004, 11:06 PM
    BigKenjDogg
    If you haven't already checked this out, do so.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/PNphpBB2...ic-t-3039.html
  • 06-02-2004, 12:57 AM
    SatanicIntention
    The first litter my gerbils had was 8, then 3, then 6, then 4. So they aren't too terribly small, just smaller than rats. I'm about to start breeding a second pair so we can have more of 'em. And no, an adult gerbil really isn't a big enough meal, but if you have a picky eater, as my bf's roommate's snake is, then it's all ya got. The snake is fully grown, about 3-4 yrs old, will ONLY eat live gerbils... Kind of annoying, but what can you do? So he gets about 3 or 4 almost grown gerbils and he's happy. If your snake will eat rats, I would breed them, they have much bigger litters, are bigger as babies, and grow faster IMO. Just a suggestion :)