Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

3 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

How soon do you separate?

Printable View

• 01-07-2018, 11:32 PM
    Matt850
    How soon do you separate?
    So my new rack is taking a long while to come in. I had it ordered three weeks before christmas but with the influx of orders for that time of the year I am not surprised. My clutch of 5 has already shed out and currently (although I would like them to be in my new rack) they are still in my incubator. I was planning on trying to get a small baby rack either at the show this weekend or locally (been looking for a few weeks). How long would they be ok if I was unable to get them a new rack. I want to start feeding them and that should start in the next 4-5 days. I probably have enough room for them all to have their own tub in my incubator as well if that's the way I should go for now. I should have been more prepared but I thought I would have the new rack by now.
  • 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM
    bcr229
    Some breeders separate as soon as they pip, others as late as when they have all shed out. They should definitely all be separated for feeding.
  • 01-08-2018, 02:51 PM
    Stewart_Reptiles
    Soon as they shed which is the time their first meal is offered.
  • 01-08-2018, 08:34 PM
    Ladybugzcrunch
    I have done it both ways, separate as they pip and after first shed. Personally I like to get them in their own tub as soon as possible. This is for my own sanity and is especially helpful when you have a clutch of look alikes. For example, i paired a super pastel with a Hypo and all 10 eggs hatched. They all looked very similar and I wanted to keep the sexes straight. I have the room, it is less hassle. I would get them out of the incubator after first shed though as they need the air circulation at the very least.
  • 01-12-2018, 07:14 PM
    Devenco
    I have done both, for me I take them out of the incubator once they have hatched and into the "clutch" tub which is nice wet and damp. I sex when they go into the clutch/shed tub if I want to know a certain animal sex right away.
    Then once they shed out they go into their own tub, sex them while they go in, label the tub, update the lists and within 3~ days I do my first feeding attempt. It works for me :)
  • 01-12-2018, 09:38 PM
    Matt850
    Re: How soon do you separate?
    I appreciate all the feedback. I do have them in separate tubs now but still in the incubator. I don't know if this is a national issue but one vendor said they may not have any racks or very few due to supply of heat tape and the one that I ordered back toward the start of December is still about two month from being fulfilled. I wanted to have a rack for these little one but three of them have eaten their first meal and I am trying the other two tonight. All are in individual tubs and in the incubator without a heat gradient. I can only hope I go to repticon and they have a baby rack available.
  • 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
    Devenco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt850 View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback. I do have them in separate tubs now but still in the incubator. I don't know if this is a national issue but one vendor said they may not have any racks or very few due to supply of heat tape and the one that I ordered back toward the start of December is still about two month from being fulfilled. I wanted to have a rack for these little one but three of them have eaten their first meal and I am trying the other two tonight. All are in individual tubs and in the incubator without a heat gradient. I can only hope I go to repticon and they have a baby rack available.

What you could do is make a temporary rack... out of wood/melanin or something with heat cable/mats.
  • 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM
    Matt850
    Luckily they had a rack! I bought the last they had in stock. It is a 12 slot baby rack so i have a little room for expansion, yay. Thanks for all the input.
  • 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM
    Devenco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt850 View Post
    Luckily they had a rack! I bought the last they had in stock. It is a 12 slot baby rack so i have a little room for expansion, yay. Thanks for all the input.

Good to hear! good luck with your little buddies! :)