Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,423

2 members and 3,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

BCI growth

Printable View

• 09-18-2019, 01:38 PM
    MarkL1561
    Re: BCI growth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Read the Complete Boa Constrictor by Vin Russo. He goes into some detail about how boas grow more when they are off food. He mentions Eugene Bassett and his work with boas.
    If Morelia Radio is still around on YouTube, Vin and Nick Mutton also spend time on the subject.

That book is still SUPER expensive! Although I did hear that he’s writing an updated version that hopefully will be cheaper haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 09-18-2019, 09:03 PM
    CloudtheBoa
    Rapid growth at least until 5-6 years, noticeable growth for 10+. As they get older, their ability to gain size dwindles. I don't really buy into the whole life thing, but boas are slow growers can grow a long time, and many die young. My ball python hasn't grown so much as a millimeter in 10 years, but my biggest male boa continues to grow at 8 years old (but only 2" in the past 3 years). My smaller, older male boa hasn't grown any measurable amount, but I've only had him 3 years come December, and I never did measure my oldest female boa when I got her. The breeder said she was 7', and she's right on the dot now - she's 11 years old. All my snakes, regardless of species (from garter snakes to boa constrictors), age, sex, feeding frequency, or growth rate shed every 1-3 months, except for my sunglow boa. lol She could double her weight and grow half a foot and still maybe shed a couple times a year. My absolute oldest snake is my 13 year old bp, and he sheds at the same frequency as everyone else despite zero growth. Shed =/= growth.

I assume they have a "predetermined" size. If they're power fed, they'll reach that sooner (and unless they have extremely good genes, they'll also die young), but you won't get them any bigger than their genes will allow. Some snakes also just don't grow no matter how much food you give them. On the other hand, if you feed less, they may eventually stop growing, it just takes a lot longer.

I also feed seasonally. I noticed slightly more growth in my juveniles, and better muscle tone in my adults doing so. I feed slightly bigger meals, and try to feed rabbits to large enough adults, right before and right after a fast. I notice maybe a few ounces of weight loss in the adults, and no weight loss in the juveniles - they were gaining more size, and thus weight. I don't straight up fast the youngest, though. Their second winter I feed half as often, and third winter I start fasting.
  • 09-18-2019, 11:12 PM
    richardhind1972
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    That book is still SUPER expensive! Although I did hear that he’s writing an updated version that hopefully will be cheaper haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian kusko interviewed Vin Russo not long ago on you tube and he said his new boa book will be out this autumn, can't wait

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
  • 09-19-2019, 08:38 AM
    SilentHill
    to clarify: i am not in any hurry for him to get big! i actually would prefer him to stay smaller. he is my favorite snake to hang out with and don't want that to change. he is 2 years old now and still a nice small size. we don't power-feed or over-feed any of our snakes.
  • 09-19-2019, 09:51 AM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    to clarify: i am not in any hurry for him to get big! i actually would prefer him to stay smaller. he is my favorite snake to hang out with and don't want that to change. he is 2 years old now and still a nice small size. we don't power-feed or over-feed any of our snakes.

Then there is nothing to worry about.

Feed as you are and it will grow the way it is supposed to grow.

Size isn't always a factor. I'd take a 9-10 foot boa over a 7 foot retic when it comes to easy, relaxing handling.

Honestly, I'd estimate your boa will top out between 5-6.5 feet and that won't be tomorrow.
  • 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM
    SilentHill
    good. he's my buddy.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9232b6286.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • 09-20-2019, 10:29 PM
    Gio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    good. he's my buddy.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9232b6286.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk