Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

2 members and 3,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
  • 01-07-2017, 02:33 AM
    Ogre
    Can you keep hot snakes in Washington state?
    So I don't particularly plan on keeping any hot snakes in the future but I think they're amazing animals. That being said I've had one hell of a time finding any kind of permit that allows you to keep them. I've found plenty of stuff that says you can't. The only exception being an animal sanctuary or something like it. I'm asking if anyone knows of an actual permit, because sanctuaries are not aloud to breed them or sell them according to RCW 16.30.010 . Trust me that it's confusing and aggravating trying to find this information. So I was hoping someone on here has answers.
  • 01-07-2017, 02:41 AM
    Ogre
    Re: Can you keep hot snakes in Washington state?
    Also it's irritating that they completely ignore most rear fanged snakes, and they don't even list Komodo Dragons in the Family varanidae portion of the list, I'm not sure if it's because they're listed as vulnerable and its already illegal to own them or something but I'd still put them on the list, since they have water and crocodile monitors on there. Sorry about that little rant.
  • 01-07-2017, 04:33 AM
    keebs
    Well, one would assume that if you can't find any info on permits but you CAN find info on them being illegal to keep, i think it would follow that they're probably illegal to keep. Also why are you looking for info on permits if you don't plan to keep them?

From what i understand about hot keeping anyway, you really really shouldn't just go out and buy a hot if it's available and if you have a permit. I think apprenticing is either required or recommended, and your mentor will probably be able to fill you in with all the pertinent information you need once youre ready for your own snake anyway...
  • 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM
    PitOnTheProwl
    Check with your Parks & Wildlife first, then your city.
    Here in Texas they are legal with the right permits but San Antonio has an ordnance that prohibits them.
  • 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
    Ogre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keebs View Post
    Well, one would assume that if you can't find any info on permits but you CAN find info on them being illegal to keep, i think it would follow that they're probably illegal to keep. Also why are you looking for info on permits if you don't plan to keep them?

From what i understand about hot keeping anyway, you really really shouldn't just go out and buy a hot if it's available and if you have a permit. I think apprenticing is either required or recommended, and your mentor will probably be able to fill you in with all the pertinent information you need once youre ready for your own snake anyway...

I'm mostly just curious, I think at one point it was legal but I don't know. Also if I ever find out it's legal and I feel the need then I would apprentice with someone before I ever started looking to buy one, I don't have a death wish or anything.
  • 01-07-2017, 05:15 PM
    Sauzo
    Check with the Pacific Northwest Herpetological Society or PM Lee Chris on FB. He will be able to let you know as he is the lead guy there for adoptions and stuff and has tons of monitors and retics so he would know off the top of his head I'm pretty sure.

Also not all counties are equal. I live in King County, south of you and in King County anything is legal except venomous, crocodilea and crocodile monitors. But in Seattle city limits, I believe anything over 8 or 10 ft are illegal and in Everett City limits retics are illegal to own or sell. I think Snohomish County is pretty relaxed though.

Bottom line though is I believe private ownership of venomous reptiles is banned.
  • 01-07-2017, 06:29 PM
    Ogre
    That's what I was thinking, I know that Skagit is purely state law and so is Sedro-Woolley. But mount vernon and Burlington have length limitations.