Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

0 members and 3,210 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Covid and reptiles

Printable View

• 11-14-2020, 04:13 PM
    richardhind1972
    Covid and reptiles
    Does anyone know if snakes can catch covid,?
    Well for our 10yr anniversary we was supposed to fly to Mexico on Sunday but tui cancel as the border wasn't open yet so we was going to gran canaria instead but our prime minister locked the country down last Thursday so we had that cancled too,
    Wednesday we both started feeling rubbish as if we been run over, so Friday we had covid tests done and they both just came back positive.Good job we wasn't on holiday tho
    My wife's seriously asthmatic so I hope it doesn't go too far with her, we both feel so fatigued is crazy, we can't sleep any more

Cheers rich

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
  • 11-14-2020, 04:34 PM
    bcr229
    Ouch. I hope you both feel better soon.

While COVID has been found in cats, dogs, ferrets, and mink, I've not heard of it affecting reptiles or amphibians.
  • 11-14-2020, 04:53 PM
    Bogertophis
    I haven't heard anything about snakes catching COVID-19, Rich, but then again, how many people would care to find out? (-compared to dog-cat-mammal keepers)

That was really fortunate that you ended up staying home- getting sick in another country would be a nightmare, I'd imagine. I hope you both have a happy anniversary by getting well again fast. :please:
  • 11-14-2020, 04:55 PM
    WrongPython
    Re: Covid and reptiles
    Oh no! I hope you and your wife recover soon, Richard.

Pretty much what bcr229 said on the reptiles-and-covid front: while covid-19 has produced symptomatic cases in other mammals, it doesn't seem to impact reptiles and amphibians. From what I've heard, it's not common for viruses to jump between ectotherms (ie. cold-blooded animals) and endotherms (ie. warm-blooded animals) in general. Thankfully covid-19 doesn't seem to be an exception on this front.
  • 11-14-2020, 05:22 PM
    Trinityblood
    I've heard of covid being found on dogs but not about dogs being affected by the virus.
  • 11-14-2020, 05:22 PM
    richardhind1972
    Thanks everyone for replying

Yes I'm glad we wasn't in another country and feeling like this too, would of been horrendous.
    Luckily we got enough food in for the 14 day quarentine, luckily we not. Been at work for a week and neither of us have seen our grandkids, so hopefully not spread it. We been so careful too, sanitising in and out of shop's, wearing masks etc

• 11-14-2020, 07:15 PM
    RedRabbit
    Oh no, Rich! Wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery.
  • 11-14-2020, 07:20 PM
    dakski
    Rich, that's not good news! Please, you and your wife take good care and feel better ASAP.
  • 11-14-2020, 07:35 PM
    richardhind1972
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Rich, that's not good news! Please, you and your wife take good care and feel better ASAP.

Thanks dave
    Got me mum and dad a bit worried as there neighbour who's the same age as me died Friday morning of covid and her 17 Yr old daughter is intensive care with it, the mother had been in icu for two weeks, I just hope her daughter makes it

• 11-14-2020, 07:36 PM
    richardhind1972
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    Oh no, Rich! Wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery.

Thanks a lot RedRabbit, I hope so too