Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

3 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
  • 02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
    8b8ll
    Where do you measure your heat?
    Do you put it on top of the substrate? Or right on the heating element?

Mike
  • 02-19-2007, 11:12 PM
    AzureN1ght
    Re: Where do you measure your heat?
    If you mean my thermometer probe, I have that under the substrate over the heat source.

If you mean the thermostat probe, I have that taped to the underside of the heating element (in my case, Flexwatt).

:)
  • 02-19-2007, 11:19 PM
    8b8ll
    So if you want a Ambient Temp. of like 80-82 what do you put your thermo at?
  • 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM
    Chase13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 8b8ll

Ambient temp? like in the tank/tub itself or in the room cuz the temp of the room is up to you and however you heat your house. Some people use space heaters with t-stats to set an ambient temp. However you asked where to put your "thermo" to achieve a certain "ambient temp". If you mean a thermometer, that doesnt have anything to do with controlling the ambient temp. Maybe im reading this wrong but either you have your grammar mixed up with t-stats and thermometers or you dont understand the difference.
  • 02-19-2007, 11:29 PM
    daniel1983
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 8b8ll

....that would be your 'air temp' in the enclosure.....I would affix it to the wall about 2 in. from the bottom.

You are talking about a thermometer not a thermostat correct?
  • 02-19-2007, 11:34 PM
    8b8ll
    T-stat I meant sorry. And I meant the Temps. in the enclosure. I don't have the T-stat yet it is coming. I just think that I will have a warm side the correct temps. but the cool end will be to cool. That is typically the case with my enclosure's.
  • 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM
    AzureN1ght
    I think the best way to keep your cool end temp up, is to keep your room temp up. I keep my room ~78...and I sleep in here, so it's a little uncomfortable, but it's my only option until I'm in a situation where my snake can have his own warm room/closet. From what I've read--a lot of people keep their reptile rooms at ~80. Heh, I think I'd -die- at 80 ;)

I also use a tub, which is shallower---I don't know if that makes a difference as far as ambient temperatures (as I would imagine a shallow tub would be better at trapping the heat from the heat pad than a taller tank would be).
  • 02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
    8b8ll
    Dang the room my BP and beardie are in gets to 68-64. Don't have my blood yet he will be here in a couple weeks. I just read (tried) the instruction manual online for the T-Stat's I'm getting. Two Johnson's. How the heck do you set these things up hahah.
  • 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM
    daniel1983
    Here is a great thread to check out concerning thermostat probe placement.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....poll&pollid=57