Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

3 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

White-lipped python

Printable View

• 06-06-2020, 09:55 PM
    Phillydubs
    Have you talked to the seller? What was he eating for them and how often? I wouldn’t offer food too often. Once a week and try a smaller prey item as not to scare him.

is he surely captive bred? There seems to be few of those. If so you are lucky. A lot of “farm bred captives” which to me is just a marketing phrase.

Are you using a hook to approach? You will want to this animal is by far my most electric and I have a few that you’d say really more so than x and yes really.

thankfully my guy has always had an appetite unless in shed. Have you tried to soak him? Some warm water and I actually mix in the plain pedialyte. It may help him pass anything and hydrate.

They are not known to be the friendliest snake and usually get a bad rap. My guy runs, musks and will sometimes strike the hook once out and I let him run through my hands a few times he’s really not too bad. He’s never stuck at me but he does spook easy and flail a bit.

get a hook going and see how he does w the adjusted temps and a soak. Then offer some smaller food items and see how he does after you ask the former guy what he was feeding
  • 06-08-2020, 09:41 PM
    Awesomethepossum
    Re: White-lipped python
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Have you talked to the seller? What was he eating for them and how often? I wouldn’t offer food too often. Once a week and try a smaller prey item as not to scare him.

is he surely captive bred? There seems to be few of those. If so you are lucky. A lot of “farm bred captives” which to me is just a marketing phrase.

Are you using a hook to approach? You will want to this animal is by far my most electric and I have a few that you’d say really more so than x and yes really.

thankfully my guy has always had an appetite unless in shed. Have you tried to soak him? Some warm water and I actually mix in the plain pedialyte. It may help him pass anything and hydrate.

They are not known to be the friendliest snake and usually get a bad rap. My guy runs, musks and will sometimes strike the hook once out and I let him run through my hands a few times he’s really not too bad. He’s never stuck at me but he does spook easy and flail a bit.

get a hook going and see how he does w the adjusted temps and a soak. Then offer some smaller food items and see how he does after you ask the former guy what he was feeding

He isn't captive bred, but captive hatched. I had asked around to known breeders in search of CB, but of course, no availability. [emoji25] I got this one from JS Reptiles. A CH import from Indonesia.

I asked the seller what he was eating. I was told to offer either f/t or live adult mice or rat pups.

I haven't handled him since I put him in his tub (to allow him to de-stress). Happy to say that he didn't bite or mess on me when I held him that day, but I was very gentle with him. He just wanted to GO [emoji28] But I do have a hook, since I have other snakes. Just never needed to use it, but I know I will with this guy.

If needed, I'll do a soak if that'll help, or get him a live rodent. My other kids eat f/t rats, but whatever he'll take. I also have f/t chicks as well (quail and chicken). I'm not actually sure when the last time he ate was, but he is in good body condition, based on appearance. When I offer prey items, it's at night, in the dark, and ideally in a manner that he cannot see me. His tub is also covered partly in a blanket (to provide extra security, but to also allow for a day/night cycle). As little disturbance as possible

Maybe he just needs more time?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
  • 06-08-2020, 10:07 PM
    jmcrook
    White-lipped python
    How long since you’ve had him? I’d maybe wait him out and leave him alone for a little bit and try f/t again. Then live and/or avian prey if you’ve already got chicks on hand, or maybe scent a rodent with a chick when thawing. I’ve heard stories of older WC animals that would only eat birds, I think that’s mentioned in one of the podcasts I sent. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 06-08-2020, 11:13 PM
    Team Slytherin
    Joe Switalski always has great looking animals. You’re in for a fun challenge.
  • 06-09-2020, 12:44 PM
    Awesomethepossum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    How long since you’ve had him? I’d maybe wait him out and leave him alone for a little bit and try f/t again. Then live and/or avian prey if you’ve already got chicks on hand, or maybe scent a rodent with a chick when thawing. I’ve heard stories of older WC animals that would only eat birds, I think that’s mentioned in one of the podcasts I sent. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. He came in on May 27th, so it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow. I'm one of those people that usually buys from local breeders and wants to know everything before a purchase, so this is uncharted territory for me. In multiple ways [emoji38]

I scented the first rat I offered (thawed it with a chick) after waiting a week. He freaked out from under his hide, and I heard him making disapproving huffing noises....So I backed off.

I'll keep an eye on his weight and try it again in a week. If it doesn't take, I'll buy a live rodent and see if that works

• 06-09-2020, 01:57 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    If the snake was eating f/t before I wouldn't resort to a live prey item yet. Keep offering f/t food every 10-14 days until he eats. I wouldn't try live until he gets to 3 or 4 months without eating.
  • 06-09-2020, 02:05 PM
    Skyrivers
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Awesomethepossum View Post
    A quick check-in before work.He wasn't impressed [emoji28]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...0cf9939c98.jpg

No experience with them but just wanted to say gratz on such a beautiful animal you have there.
  • 06-09-2020, 08:55 PM
    Awesomethepossum
    Not the best picture, but I decided to hold him today, and this is how I was greeted. It didn't improve much from there [emoji28]

He saw the snake hook and started striking it, then made his move and shot straight up out of the tub. When I grabbed him to prevent this, he took a moment to process what was going on, and musked me.

I had a cat glove on one hand just for personal reassurance, since I assumed this would happen and was nervous.

When he realized he wasn't going anywhere, he stopped fighting my hold, struck the glove 2-3 times, then redirected these efforts to my face (of course).

He maintained this focus (defensive, striking pose, tracking my movements) until I put him back in his tub, and when I did, he started rattling his tail.

My impression? A lot stronger and faster than I expected.Definitely more intense than a ball python [emoji1787]
    I do wonder if this will improve with time or not.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...01872ddfc6.jpg

• 06-09-2020, 09:03 PM
    Reptile$ 4 Life
    Quote:

Not the best picture, but I decided to hold him today, and this is how I was greeted. It didn't improve much from there [emoji28]

He saw the snake hook and started striking it, then made his move and shot straight up out of the tub. When I grabbed him to prevent this, he took a moment to process what was going on, and musked me.

I had a cat glove on one hand just for personal reassurance, since I assumed this would happen and was nervous.

When he realized he wasn't going anywhere, he stopped fighting my hold, struck the glove 2-3 times, then redirected these efforts to my face (of course).

He maintained this focus (defensive, striking pose) until I put him back in his tub, and when I did, he started rattling his tail.

My impression? A lot stronger and faster than I expected.Definitely more intense than a ball python [emoji1787]

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...01872ddfc6.jpg

Wow! Sounds like you had quite the adventure with him. Hopefully he calms down for you but only time will tell. At least you have such a gorgeous animal.
  • 06-10-2020, 09:20 AM
    Skyrivers
    What an adventure! Best wishes as he ages. My blood is my challenging one right now.

Quote:

He maintained this focus (defensive, striking pose, tracking my movements) until I put him back in his tub, and when I did, he started rattling his tail.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...01872ddfc6.jpg