Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM
    Starscream
    Re: Florida Man Fighting to Keep His Emotional Support Squirrel and Condo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    According to the ADA, service animals can only be dogs and have to be trained to perform specific tasks in relation to the special needs of their owner. Ex. A dog trained to sense a coming seizure of its owner or a dog trained to sense and alert it's diabetic owner of low blood sugar. Anything else is a pet. Like it or not, it is what it is.
    Here is a good article regarding esa animals. The guy has no right to claim that squirrel is a service animal. He is part of the problem.
    http://www.jems.com/articles/print/v...t-animals.html

ESAs are NOT service animals. Completely different, and ESAs only have permission to live in your home.

I dislike how people abuse this system, making it hard, if not impossible, for people who actually need it to obtain an ESA without a stigma attached. And the part about him getting the ESA paperwork AFTER the condo people tried to get him to remove the squirrel is aggravating.

Why is it that "Florida Man" always does this crazy stuff? lol
  • 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
    OhhWatALoser
    I honestly don't agree with the idea of an Esa at all. I'm not saying some people don't need them, if that's the case live in a place that allows them, now it's someone with a pet, there no need for an Esa title. I dont agree with forcing others to cater to you in such a way. If the landlord doesn't want animals in their house, they should have every right to say so. I even feel the same about snakes, live in a place that allows them. If they don't want them, they obviously don't want my money either, not a problem.
  • 11-14-2017, 03:15 PM
    enginee837
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    ESAs are NOT service animals. Completely different, and ESAs only have permission to live in your home.

I dislike how people abuse this system, making it hard, if not impossible, for people who actually need it to obtain an ESA without a stigma attached. And the part about him getting the ESA paperwork AFTER the condo people tried to get him to remove the squirrel is aggravating.

Why is it that "Florida Man" always does this crazy stuff? lol

It is my understanding that esa's carry no federal protections or privileges. They are nothing more than a pet that has a certificate which can be purchased online with no prescription from a doctor or therapist.
  • 11-14-2017, 05:06 PM
    SDA
    I recently saw a great dane as an ESA on a flight. I was livid. I hate how people are abusing a well meaning system to skirt laws.
  • 11-16-2017, 04:24 PM
    Ax01
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I recently saw a great dane as an ESA on a flight. I was livid. I hate how people are abusing a well meaning system to skirt laws.

wow really! did it have it's own seat?

also i just found this: https://www.boredpanda.com/animals-on-a-plane

50-plus pix and gifs of service animals, ESA's and pets on planes. i saw a mini-horse and birds seem to be quite popular including penguins.
  • 11-16-2017, 04:42 PM
    SDA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    wow really! did it have it's own seat?

No! This is my issue with ESAs on planes. Far too often they take up space in a negative way. If you are adamant you need a great dane on a plane with you, you need to buy up the entire row to compensate for that.

How long before someone says they need their ESA retic python for emotional support on a transcontinental flight and it eats someone's chicken ESA and a fight breaks out?
  • 11-16-2017, 04:46 PM
    tttaylorrr
    Quote:

How long before someone says they need their ESA retic python for emotional support on a transcontinental flight and it eats someone's chicken ESA and a fight breaks out?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    i just laughed so hard my coworkers know i'm not working...the mental image is hilarious.
  • 11-16-2017, 04:51 PM
    enginee837
    Quote:

No! This is my issue with ESAs on planes. Far too often they take up space in a negative way. If you are adamant you need a great dane on a plane with you, you need to buy up the entire row to compensate for that.

Yeah well there are passengers that take more than one seat yet get charged only for one as well and if you complain about them encroaching on your space you get labeld a fat shamer.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe in flight esa Pokemon style battles will become a thing?
  • 11-16-2017, 04:52 PM
    bcr229
    Quote:

I'd lay 1-2 odds on the retic winning that one.
  • 11-19-2017, 10:49 AM
    Momokahn
    That animal is a lot closer to an EAT animal than an ESA animal. "Ma, go grab the skillet".