Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

2 members and 3,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
  • 04-28-2021, 10:27 AM
    Erie_herps
    I see a lot of posts about colubrids with a similar problem. None of them ever had a solution though. A lot of the guesses were cyst, infection, tumor etc. Either way it shouldn't affect the quality of life.
  • 04-28-2021, 12:53 PM
    AbsoluteApril
    the little fat deposits around the tail by the vent are typically called 'hips' in colubrids
  • 05-03-2021, 03:43 AM
    Rosa
    I just returned from the vet.
    He felt the bumps and took an x-ray. He thinks it is just fat. The snake does not react painfully and the shadows on the x-ray are "tissue shadows" by his opinion. It looks like fat or connective tissue, not like liquid, or blood or puss.
    He advised me just to reduce feeding a bit more and provide more exercise.

And he was a star there, a lot of people cured their fear of snakes :)

Here is the close up of the bumps.
    https://ibb.co/CpLTfwB

Here is the full body. The two other bumps are actually not visible on x-ray as something special, they are very small.
    https://ibb.co/ZzH4C1p

Thank you all for commenting.
  • 05-03-2021, 10:51 AM
    Hugsplox
    Re: Bumps on snake - any opinion is welcome
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    I just returned from the vet.
    He felt the bumps and took an x-ray. He thinks it is just fat. The snake does not react painfully and the shadows on the x-ray are "tissue shadows" by his opinion. It looks like fat or connective tissue, not like liquid, or blood or puss.

Here is the close up of the bumps.
    https://ibb.co/CpLTfwB

Here is the full body. The two other bumps are actually not visible on x-ray as something special, they are very small.
    https://ibb.co/ZzH4C1p

Thank you all for commenting.

I'm glad it turned out not to be anything serious. I've been following your thread as I lost a Hognose to what turned out to be a nasty tumor years ago. Was hoping you didn't have something similar. Also, it's always nice to hear people getting over their fear of snakes!
  • 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM
    Rosa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I'm glad it turned out not to be anything serious. I've been following your thread as I lost a Hognose to what turned out to be a nasty tumor years ago. Was hoping you didn't have something similar. Also, it's always nice to hear people getting over their fear of snakes!

Well I also asked a vet from Serbia - country above, and sent x-ray. She was not so happy with the just this x-ray and advised I put on gentamicin ointment 7 days in a row just in case it is localized infection.
    She said it doesn't look like a tumor to her, and looks like fat, but just to be sure I can put on some antibiotic to see if the lumps react in any way.

So... without in depth look it is not 100% possible to say what it is.
    I will do this and let you know if there is any change.
  • 05-03-2021, 12:36 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosa View Post

:gj: And let's hope this is all it is. :please:

The next time this vet is asked to see a snake, they won't be so hesitant. It's wonderful to open people's eyes just a bit- especially those who are already animal lovers- I've had the same experience every time I've had to take a snake to a vet over the years. I've never had any snake try to bite or act badly in any way, & you can just see people's fear melt away. One time, all the other staff members kept coming in for admiring looks too- it was very educational for them, & it truly helps them see the beauty of these animals, as well as their value as pets. You did good! :snake:
  • 05-03-2021, 02:13 PM
    Cheesenugget
    Great news! I'm so happy for you and your buddy. I always tell pet owners of all species it is never a waste of time and money to go to the vet. Best news are the ones where you find nothing wrong with your snake.