Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

3 members and 3,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Ventilation holes

Printable View

• 10-17-2019, 11:15 AM
    Sophieg
    Ventilation holes
    So I just bought a plastic tub for a 3month old western hognose that I'm going to be getting soon, how big/small do the ventilation holes need to be? I'm scared I'll make them too big or small haha x

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
  • 10-17-2019, 11:19 AM
    Craiga 01453
    I'd actually dry run it for a bit before drilling holes. Depending on the relative humidity in the room you may not need to drill holes. A dry substrate will probably be all you need since Hognose don't require higher humidity.
  • 10-17-2019, 11:20 AM
    wnateg
    If you're using a drill, I recommend going pretty small, so you don't split the plastic.
  • 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM
    Sophieg
    Re: Ventilation holes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I'd actually dry run it for a bit before drilling holes. Depending on the relative humidity in the room you may not need to drill holes. A dry substrate will probably be all you need since Hognose don't require higher humidity.

Oh okay! How big would they be if I DID need some? X

• 10-17-2019, 11:22 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophieg View Post
    Oh okay! How big would they be if I DID need some? X

I honestly don't know. I'm not a tub guy. I'd just hate to see you drill a bunch of holes just to tape over them.
  • 10-17-2019, 11:26 AM
    Sophieg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    If you're using a drill, I recommend going pretty small, so you don't split the plastic.

Could I melt them? X

• 10-17-2019, 11:28 AM
    Craiga 01453
    Quote:

Could I melt them? X

I do know many people use soldering irons to "drill" the holes.
  • 10-17-2019, 12:26 PM
    Bogertophis
    Quote:

Could I melt them? X

Yes, you bet! I don't house snakes in plastic tubs, but I have used them only for brumating snakes in the past, & yes, I used a very cheap & 'basic' soldering tool with a
    fine tip to melt holes in the plastic for ventilation. Best I recall, the soldering tool was under $10 available in hardware stores, or maybe even a thrift store if you're lucky.

This is better (IMO) than drilling, as often drilling can split (crack) the plastic instead, & the drill bit slips around too (plastic is slick) so between the 2 methods, I say "melt".

BUT BE SURE YOU DO THIS OUTSIDE (LIKE ON PORCH OR IN GARAGE) WITH GOOD VENTILATION...since the melting plastic gives off toxic fumes, OK?
  • 10-17-2019, 12:33 PM
    wnateg
    Yes, I recommend the soldering iron approach. I drill the holes and you will split the plastic even with a small bit guaranteed. Plus it can really be a pain if you have to drill a lot of holes like me.
  • 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM
    Bogertophis
    If your budget is really tight, you might even be able to get a nail hot enough to melt holes one at a time, but much harder that way & not much to hang onto.