Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

1 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

My ball python shedding

Printable View

• 01-04-2022, 11:04 PM
    DatBoiAJ_
    My ball python shedding
    So my girl was going into shed about 2 weeks ago, and its never taken this long. I noticed the signs, so i left her alone and just misted and checked up on her daily. Then we came back home after xmas and she was still in shed, i was a bit surprised. Its been about another week, and she hasnt come out of blue but i can see a bit of like crickled snake shed skin on her nose. And now my question. Is almost 2 weeks too long? shes never been in shed this long. Im not worried but just want to know, because she hasntt taken longer than a week or so- shes still in blue-like grey blue that goes away- but her color is normal-almost like shes not in shed,. Its pretty wierd- Thanks
  • 01-04-2022, 11:52 PM
    Bogertophis
    When did she eat last? & how much?
  • 01-05-2022, 12:13 AM
    DatBoiAJ_
    well i dont like feeding her during shed..so maybe 2 and a half weeks ago or so

- - - Updated - - -

2 mice biggish
  • 01-05-2022, 12:43 AM
    Bogertophis
    Re: My ball python shedding
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DatBoiAJ_ View Post
    well i dont like feeding her during shed..so maybe 2 and a half weeks ago or so

- - - Updated - - -

2 mice biggish

Okay, that's my point- you said she's been "in shed for about 2 weeks"- so really, you just fed her a fairly big meal shortly before she clouded up in this shed cycle- & THAT's why it's taking so long for her to get the shed done.

Digesting a meal requires good hydration (ie. uses water from the snake's body) and so does shedding -they secrete some fluid between the old & new layers of skin that helps the old skin peel off, & that's why snake sheds feel damp when they're freshly shed.

So your snake is trying to do 2 things at once- both functions take time & good hydration- that hefty meal is making her shed cycle take longer. Keep her humidity up, & HOPE she doesn't get stuck with the old skin, or regurgitate (as sometimes happens- but not usually).
  • 01-05-2022, 12:47 AM
    DatBoiAJ_
    so-two mice is a big meal? shes about 1000 grams so id think it was a bit small-but your scenario of the shed/food makes sense. ill keep humidity up-thanks boger
  • 01-05-2022, 08:52 PM
    DatBoiAJ_
    so good news, shes come out blue and her colors are coming back a bit so she is moving through it. Ill update if anything else happens
  • 01-05-2022, 08:57 PM
    Bogertophis
    Re: My ball python shedding
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DatBoiAJ_ View Post
    so good news, shes come out blue and her colors are coming back a bit so she is moving through it. Ill update if anything else happens

AKA "gone clear" & about to actually shed...:snake:
  • 01-05-2022, 08:58 PM
    DatBoiAJ_
    yeah i know :gj:
  • 01-08-2022, 01:00 AM
    DatBoiAJ_
    ok she finalllly shed lol