Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

2 members and 3,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
  • 04-20-2020, 05:47 AM
    Jakemh91
    Should I feed more food or larger prey.
    I've had my Ball, Lucie, for about 2 months now. During that time she's eaten nearly ever week. The only times she hasn't has been the very first week that we had her, and the other was when she was in shed. Other than that, no problems. She's been eating F/T fuzzy rats. When I got her from the breeder he had said she was eating live fuzzies, but should take to frozen with little to no issue, and she has.
    I last fed her 3 days ago (Friday the 17th). However in the days leading up to being fed and everyday since, she's been pretty lethargic. I just assumed that it had to due with her having just ate. Also, been having trouble with humidity here very recently. Nothing drastic, just been having trouble getting humidity to stay up, kinda out of nowhere. Didn't used to have this problem. Anyway, on top of being lethargic, when I reached in her cage earlier today to refresh her water and she snapped at me. Something she's never done before. Like I said, she JUST ate. So I'll if she's uncomfortable due with the problem with the humidity or if she's still hungry.

If she's still hungry, can I feed he two fuzzies or move up to a small rat?
  • 04-20-2020, 08:28 AM
    RickyNY
    You need to weigh Lucie, then follow this:

[IMG]https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...om/zEnplUJ.png[/IMG]
  • 04-20-2020, 10:09 AM
    vivi
    Fuzzies,whether they are mice fuzzies or rat fuzzies, are too small for a BP. Follow the feeding guidelines above.
  • 04-20-2020, 12:39 PM
    Jakemh91
    Re: Should I feed more food or larger prey.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Fuzzies,whether they are mice fuzzies or rat fuzzies, are too small for a BP. Follow the feeding guidelines above.

I'm feeding her rat fuzzies because that's what the breeder had been feeding her and had told me to keep feeding her. Also the feeding guidelines above, that you're telling me to follow, recommend fuzzy rats for ball pythons up to 200 grams???
  • 04-20-2020, 12:42 PM
    vivi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemh91 View Post
    I'm feeding her rat fuzzies because that's what the breeder had been feeding her and had told me to keep feeding her. Also the feeding guidelines above, that you're telling me to follow, recommend fuzzy rats for ball pythons up to 200 grams???

I stand corrected. Any idea what her weight is? Instead of feeding more than one prey item I would just move up a prey size.
  • 04-20-2020, 03:26 PM
    Jakemh91
    I just weighed her and several of the fuzzy rats.
    She's at 210 grams. Putting her just over the line to needing to eat rat pups rather than fuzzies. But when weighing the fuzzies that I have (I have a bag of roughly 20), they all seemed to weigh between 10g-15g. The recommended size for rat pups (according the above chart) is 20g-29g.
    So my question is this, would it be better to go out and buy rat pups, or could I offer her two fuzzies and be fine?
  • 04-20-2020, 04:54 PM
    RickyNY
    Sure, finish up your supply of fuzzy rats by feeding two. Then go to a single rat pup per feeding until she's 350 grams and then you start feeding weaned rats, etc. You get the point :gj:
  • 04-20-2020, 05:52 PM
    Jakemh91
    How should I go about feeding her two? Should I wait for her to finish eating one, then offer the second. Or put both of them in at the same time? To get her to eat I usually have to do the "zombie dance" to get her to take it.
  • 04-20-2020, 06:02 PM
    EL-Ziggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemh91 View Post
    How should I go about feeding her two? Should I wait for her to finish eating one, then offer the second. Or put both of them in at the same time? To get her to eat I usually have to do the "zombie dance" to get her to take it.

For my snakes that take their food from tongs I wait until they've finished one prey item and then I offer the 2nd one. For my snakes that drop feed I just leave both prey items in their enclosure.