Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

2 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
  • 09-10-2019, 05:08 AM
    Joykoins
    Risk Assessment: Egg Incubator
    To make a long story short, I am the caretaker of a ball python collection for a private owner. I am by no means an expert as I have only started this adventure 2 months ago, but in that time I have broken the 2 month fast on a live prey only snake and converted him to FT, have almost got all 13 snakes up from underweight, and got successful locks on two females for what I hope to be a fruitful breeding season, but I'm also dreading it.

Now that I know more about BP husbandry than I did in the beginning, I look at the owner's "brand new?"Exo Terra egg incubator with suspicion and skepticism. Both of the females i bred are very large (1,700+g) and I trust that they will both produce a minimum of four huge eggs. I see no way of them fitting in this tiny incubator, but even if they could, I've read bad things about this particular incubator:

1)Has problems maintaining temperature
    2)Fans suddenly stopped working
    3)Whole unit just turns off
    4)Known to cook eggs

So I suppose my only real question is, should I not cave to other people's bad experiences with this incubator and trust it, or should I attempt to build an incubator with the help of YouTube University?
  • 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM
    bcr229
    I would build or buy a better one. I've had large females lay over 10 eggs.
  • 09-10-2019, 09:42 AM
    Bogertophis
    Those reviews wouldn't give me any confidence either...as bcr229 says, you can do better. Good luck!
  • 09-10-2019, 05:38 PM
    303_enfield
    Build or buy a better incubator (or farm the eggs out). From what the POS incubator is (kids had one), you would be better off letting the snake keep her eggs.

Good luck!
  • 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM
    Ax01
    here's my detailed DIY thread on my incubator build from an old wine fridge: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ncubator-by-Ax

and here's a DIY vid from Will on how to make one from a cooler: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...uild-breakdown

good luck and have fun w/ the build.
  • 09-14-2019, 10:28 AM
    ballpyt
    Build one. Some close relatives had a apartment fridge(not a full size but not a mini fridge) that died on them so I took it off their hands and it was rather easy to convert into a incubator. Now I just need some damn eggs to put into it and see how well it works! :rolleye2: